5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

BIOS Upgrade Failure

I'm trying to install Win2K on a Gateway PC with an Athlon CPU. Although this model shipped with Win98 installed, there are Win2K drivers listed for this model on the Gateway site, so I have no reason to think I shouldn't be able to run Win2K on it. Every time I try to do the install, however, it freezes up before completion, which is why I thought applying a BIOS update might help.

Gateway's instructions were to download the BIOS update, extract the files, and then COPY the files to an "IBM-formatted" floppy disk, NOT one formatted via Windows. I went out this morning and bought a box of floppies for this, as I couldn't be sure the ones I had around the house hadn't been formatted via Windows.

There are 9 files within the BIOS update:

2 files with .ROM extensions
    Autoexec.bat
    Command.com
    Io.sys
    Readme.txt
    AFUDOS.exe
    Cmos_p13.map
    Msdos.sys

When I start the PC with the floppy inserted, I immediately get the error message "Non-system disk or disk error." When I emailed Gateway about this, their answer was to make sure I had followed their instructions for creating the upgrade disk I know I've done that. The write-lock tab is NOT engaged on this floppy. Does anyone have an idea about what might be wrong? Does the floppy include all the files necessary for a boot floppy? The only strange thing I've noticed is that when I look at the floppy in Windows Explorer, nothing is showing for Total Size and Free Space.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: BIOS Upgrade Failure

Hi John,

Your file listing certainly looks OK. See if the readme file has any useful info.

In any event, the error message you're getting suggests the disks haven't been formatted. I don't know why gateway would think a disk formatted from within Windows was functionally diffrerent from one formatted from the command line. What you probably need to do is to choose the option to make the disk bootable from within Windows or use the command:
    FORMAT A: /s
    from the command line. That should result in the disk having MSDOS.SYS & IO.SYS installed as hidden files and COMMAND.COM installed and visible. You'd then copy the OTHER files onto the disk then reboot from it.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: BIOS Upgrade Failure

>> What you probably need to do is to choose the option to make the disk bootable from within Windows or use the command: FORMAT A: /s
    from the command line. That should result in the disk having MSDOS.SYS & IO.SYS installed as hidden files and COMMAND.COM installed and visible. You'd then copy the OTHER files onto the disk then reboot from it. <<

What I ended up trying was starting with a "known good" Win98SE boot disk. I took every file off it EXCEPT the three above, then copied over all the files from the no-good Gateway disk except those three. Put it in the PC, turned the power on and Voila! the BIOS upgrade fired up and ran. Even better, the upgrade solved the problem with the Win2K install, and I now have a functioning PC for my friend. Thanks for getting me pointed in the right direction.