Star Lounger
    Thanks

reinwtallation won't download updates (winxpsr2)

I reinstalled winxpsr2. Everything seems ok except that I cannot download any updates. It goes thru the correct sequence and then says that it did not install MS genuine advantage which seems to be first program in the list. It says to look in history for error messages. History says there is nothing because there has been no downloading activity. The only help is generic troubleshooting. Also there are no error messages. Can someone suggest an approach to troubleshooting this problem. I did load genuine advantage from their website manually so it seems to load ok when disassociated from the windows update functions.

phil

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reinstallation won't download updates (winxpsr

I haven't had this problem so this is just a shot in the dark. Do you suppose you might need to get MS on the phone to see if your reinstallation really is (XP that is) "activated?"

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: reinstallation won't download updates (winxpsr

Note that I can download other software thru "genuine advantage". But I tried your suggestion. It took forever but it was claimed to be ok.

I once had a problem with similar symptoms but it gave an error message. The downloading stuff was not registered. By registering it for which it gave instructions, everythng worked ok. Unfortuntely, I don't know how to try that experiment.

Do you think it would be of use to go thru the winxp upgrade installation again?

Phil