3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Faulty memory how.. can you tell?

I've noticed a slow down on everything using this Dell computer running XP home with 512mb (2 x 256)memory, slow to start, programmes take longer to open and close...and the notice keeps popping up about "virtual memory is low windows is increasing it" which rarely has happend in the past unless Im working in memory intensive things such as paint shop pro or nero dvd burning. How can I tell if one of the memory sticks is faulty? The system properties shows the full amount plus I have a microsoft memory tester tool on a floppy which shows "pass" if I try running it.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Faulty memory how.. can you tell?

> "virtual memory is low windows is increasing it"

This message is almost never a symptom of a memory hardware problem. It just means that you don't have enough memory.

How much memory do you have, and what programs are you running?

The last time I had this kind of problem it was caused by a corruption of my Outlookcmd.dat file, but almost any application could cause this. Try typing Control-Alt-Del to bring up the task manager. Switch to the processes tab, click on the Mem Usage column and look to see which processes are using the most memory. Also look on the performance tab to see how much free memory you have and how much of the Page File you are using.

StuartR

Thanks

> > "virtual memory is low windows is increasing it"
    > This message is almost never a symptom of a memory hardware problem. It just means that you don't have enough memory.

I would have worded this error message as "Your page file is not large enough to support the amount of virtual memory that is presently required, so it is being increased in size". I certainly agree that the problem would have nothing to do with physical memory chips.

I presume you are referring to the Microsoft Memory Diagnostic (no 's'!), which has to be booted from a floppy disk, very like the one you have, or from a CD which you have burned from the downloaded software.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes that is the Memory Diagnostic tool I was refering to. I am now investigating possible corruption or even malware that has somehow occured but have limited free time at the moment to do this in one hit so to speak