New Lounger
    Thanks

Can't boot past splash screen (XP Media Ed 2005 Sp2)

Good Afternoon,

I'm havinga problem with my computer...again. This time it won't boot past the XP Splash screen. Don't know if I can get to safe mode, I cant rember which button it is for my mobo, its a ASUS P5NE SLI. Anyway, I'm using an old version of Bart's PE to check for stuff, but I've never had any sucess with it. Help please?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Can't boot past splash screen (XP Media Ed 200

> Don't know if I can get to safe mode, I cant rember which button it is for my mobo

Use F8 to boot into safe mode. This is nothing to do with the motherboard, the F8 key is interpreted by Windows during startup.

StuartR

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks. I was a little off my rocker this morning. In any case, any Idea what's wrong? I can't tell if its a hard drive issue or an OS issue.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> In any case, any Idea what's wrong? I can't tell if its a hard drive issue or an OS issue

There is nowhere near enough information for anybody to even start guessing.

See if you can boot into safe mode and we can take it from there.

StuartR

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Is this the same system as in your recent thread?

<!post=Windows will not boot past splash screen (XP SP2) 04-May-08,709467>Windows will not boot past splash screen (XP SP2) 04-May-08<!/post>

If so, do you have any feedback to that thread?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Ah, yes. I had forgoteen abot that thread. yes unfortunatly it is the same system. That problem seemed to resolve it self on its own. A couple of days later it just started letting me boot. What really worries me this time is that during the time its not booting, i'm not getting any HDD activity lights.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Your subject in this thread says: "Can't boot past splash screen" (Windows?), and you say that the old problem went away for some time. In your last post you say it doesn't show any HDD light during those times it doesn't boot.

Does this mean:
    -it sometimes boot, but not always.
    -when it doesn't boot, you don't see anything (BIOS POST [or picture that is there instead of it]; Windows "splash screen"; HDD light etc.).

Because, I don't think you would see it boot up to "splash screen" then hang, without HDD light showing (if there isn't several problems: HDD/OS and physical connection to LED light cable/motherboard responsible for monitoring HDD activity).

It would be too simple to say that you had an power outage (other thread) and that is the cause of the problems; it could be, but not necessarily. But as an result it could be problem with the CPU (processor), motherboard, HDD etc. Checking the HDD can be an easy start.

So, my advice is still (same as other thread) to check the hard drive; even if it does boot sometimes best would be offline, using the Recovery Console (RC) on the Windows CD.

A start could be to check all cables inside the PC. A check inside BIOS Setup to see if all drives are recognised could be good, but since if it do boot sometimes it probably isn't necessary. Then run the CHKDSK command from the RC. (To check the C partition, usually system partition, and to locate bad sectors and recover readable information run "CHKDSK C: /R")

There is information about RC and CHKDSK here in the Lounge (for ex. see my links in other thread) and at Microsoft, but do come back if anything is unclear. You will need your Windows CD and the Administrator account password.