New Lounger
    Thanks

Multi-Dimension Visualization (2003)

The attached file contains 5 worksheets. The first worksheet has a table filled with objects that visually represent data on the subsequent worksheets. None of it is linked, of course, but I wanted to post an example of what I would like to do and get some ideas on ways to do multi-dimension visualization of Excel data or get some ideas on some other software that might be recommended.

Huck
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Multi-Dimension Visualization (2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

I'm afraid I don't have the slightest idea what the objects on the first sheet have to do with the data on the other sheets. Could you try to explain?

New Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    The objects are just a static visualization. The number in the cells on the GraphicView correspond to the number in Table1. The colored triangles (upper and lower) in each cell correspond to Table3 and Table4 values and the grayed rectangle object varies in length against the notches with in the cell corresponding to the Table2 values. Image the triangles being on some kind of slider or something like that. The GraphicVies visualization is just "a" way of looking at the numbers. More than actually linking the values to those objects such that when the table value changes, the objects change, I am hoping to get some other ideas for multi-dimension visualization of data that is modeled in Tables 1-4.

Huck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Is there some kind of logical, spatial or temporal relationship between the data in Table1 through Table4? For example, do they represent a development over time?

New Lounger
    Thanks

There is no relationship between the data in tables 1 through 4. Each table of data represents a different attribute of the Region/Service pairing.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the clarification. I'm afraid I'm not very good at this - I'd probably do something unimaginative such as creating a column chart or perhaps a radar chart, but hopefully others will come up with more creative suggestions.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Something "unimaginative" is what I was thinking as well. A 3-D column chart would give height (Table 1 data) and a color distinction could represent the data of another table. I am just hoping someone has used software that might accommodate what I am looking for and just give me some ideas.

Thanks
    Huck

Thanks

What do the colors represent? Do you have to have the top triangle or can it be a diamond?

I still am a little confused how the tables represent where the triangles go (or is chart an example only and not related to the data?)

This probably can be done with a combination chart of a stacked bar and an XY scatter though the setup would be complex. You could also do it with a macro and have it run whenever any of the data changed.

It may be more meaningful if you explained what the data represented and type of information you hope to gather from the charts. Hans mentioned radar charts already, I have seen some multidimensional with mini-distribution charts used as "markers" to show additional dimensions.

Steve

New Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,
    A macros that runs whenever any of the data changed is that I am looking for.

Both triangles (the upper and lower) are positioned and colored relative to the number values in Tables 3 and 4. I'm not married to the triangle shape, but wanted to illustrate their position as being on a slider or something. The upper represents a desired value and the lower represents the actual value. I would be interested in seeing the multi-dimensional with mini-distribution used as "markers" if you had another thread as an example.

For this example, let's say that the Region/Service pairing can be described by Number of Employees (Table1), Corporate Priority (Table 2), Sales Target (Table 3) and Actual Sales (Table 4).

Thanks
    Huck

Thanks

Here is a formulaic approach to make sure I understand what you want. The chart is "live" and based on your tables. It doesn't look like your "example" so I am not sure if I am using the data correctly....

Steve
    Attached Files Attached Files

New Lounger
    Thanks

Steve,
    This is perfect. Truth be told, I have to dissect it more to discern your approach to setting up the Chart1. I see that you have 17 Series for the Source Data referencing ranges in the Data worksheet. I haven't figured out how you integrated and set up all of the objects, but I'll appy some more brain cells to follow the work.

Is there any reason why the triangles couldn't be used? Not necessary really. I'm just curious.

I am going to play with this more and try to make it more adaptable to an increased listing of Regions and Services. I'd appreciate any ideas on making additions more easily. I would assume that almost all, if not all Series references would have to be expanded.

If the order of the Regions or Services in the matrix (Table1 to Table4), would those changes be automatically reflected in Chart1?

You've really opened my eyes to some possibilities here.

Thanks
    Huck

Thanks

I am glad it works as you wanted. The chart has 2 types: the primary one is the stacked column for table2 and consists of 6 ranges: 3 that are blank and the other 3 to hold the segment for each service.

The secondary chart is an XY scatter and this has most of the drawing. Some ranges are "drawn": the borders of the lines, the vertical grid, others are place holders for the text and do not appear but have "legends" for the text. The diamonds are 6 separate plotted ranges, 3 for upper and 3 for the lower (the 3 being each of the colors).

If you need more details let me know. Much of the data is just calculations based on some "defined" values at the top to make the chart look like you wanted

I could use the lower triangle, since excel has a marker for this. There is no marker for the upside down triangle. I could have pasted a graphic of the triangles in 3 colors, but I was trying to do it directly with excel functions. One could also "draw" the triangles, but then would have to color it in as well and that just adds more ranges.

To add more ranges , you would have to expand the ranges and copy the various "XY segments" You will also have to expand the XY limits for th chart since I manually set them.

The text values are not read from the tables. I just have them listed as text in the "data sheet" You could link them to one of the tables easily enough...

Before you start expanding or changing, I recommend understanding what each of the ranges do...

Steve