Lounger
    Thanks

Combining Word with Excel (2007)

I have a project whereby I need to create a business document. This document must be well formatted, so I have presumed to create it in Word 2007. This particular document is roughly 40 pages long and within it needs to be a couple dozen charts and Excel tables. The tables must be able to be modified with the calculated results cascading through the document to update other tables and charts throughout the document. On the surface, it would seem relatively simple to place the tables and charts into a separate Excel spreadsheet and simply embed the linked charts and tables into the Word Document. The problem that I am having is that I need to email the resulting document(s) to the client and when I do, the embedded links are broken. It is also too much to expect the end-user to be able to relink the excel spreadsheet tables back to the Word document.

A) Is the solution to combine the Excel worksheets into the Word document in some way, and if so, how can that be done?
    Is there a way to easily submit the two documents while maintaining the integrity of the object links?
    C) Is there alternative to the above that will do what I'm looking for?

Thanks!

Jerry Sweet

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Combining Word with Excel (2007)

Do the recipients need to edit or update the document? If not, you could unlink the tables and charts (Ctrl+Shift+F9), save the document under another name and send this new version.

If that is not feasible, you might have a look at macropod's <!post=Relative Paths in Word Fields (All),670027>Relative Paths in Word Fields (All)<!/post>.

Lounger
    Thanks

I'm afraid they do. The documents I am creating are business plans and required modifications by the end user. The end user is rarely more than slightly proficient in Word or Excel. Thank you for the link. I'll check it out and see if I can apply it.

Lounger
    Thanks

Sadly, when I put a relative path in the code, it changes it back when I save the file. Any further ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Hopefully macropod will have a better suggestion. He's our resident expert on fields in Word.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

hi Jerry,

The field codes for relative paths don't work with LINK fields, which is what you get when you're linking to an Excel workbook. The post Hans referred you to includes a macro that you can use instead.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]