Star Lounger
    Thanks

Intranet (only) SMPT server - Vista64 / NAS

I have just added a NAS (Stardom SL3620-2S-LB2) to our home network. Its cheap & almost no reviews seem to exist. But I have been pleasantly surprised by how easy it was to set up & how well it has been working so far (3 days!). Even relatively quiet & runs almost cold, as a bonus.

Only one issue encountered so far - it has both email & pop-up error notification, but so far neither works because there is no SMTP server & no NET SEND in Vista.

A right pain that there is no local intranet messaging service?

I have looked at a number of the multitudinous 3rd party SMTP server options, but they seem primarily directed at internet mail serving. Preferably I would like something that only operates internally on the local network without opening holes to the outside that I then have to be concerned about. All I want is a system that will allow me to receive hopefully a very occasional error message from the NAS; ie. a simple intranet messaging service.

Does anyone know of a suitable SMTP server or Net Send equivalent that I could use - hopefully low cost or free, given the hopefully once in a blue moon usage!

Thanks, David

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 925 Posts

Re: Intranet (only) SMPT server - Vista64 / NAS

See MSG.EXE replaces Net Send in Windows Vista for infomration on NET SEND replacement. See IIS7 - post #23 - Vista and SMTP server. Where is it? - Steve Schofield Weblog for links to two SMTP servers.

Joe
    Joe

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Intranet (only) SMPT server - Vista64 / NAS

Thanks Joe

Alas, the NAS appears to be not set up to use MSG. There is only a field to enter the names of the "Error Handling Pop-Up Machines" & nothing I enter there results in a message on my PC. FWIW I have attached a copy of the error message option screen for the NAS.

Looks like I will have to install one of the various SMTP server packages. Have been trying to keep this PC as lean as possible by avoiding add-on utilities etc wherever possible.

Had seen the Steve Schofield blog post. Currently I'm leaning towards Afterlogic Xmail Server or lighter weight option, miniRelay , with the two mentioned by Steve Schofield as the next alternatives. Or possibly Mercury Mail Transportation System (may be a bit heavy duty / complex?). User feedback on any of these options would be appreciated.

I am still a little concerned as to whether adding an SMTP server may affect my normal email activities. At this point I am happy with my existing email set up (Outlook direct to ISP) and do not want to change that / have my normal email going through a local mail server. Presumably I just set up a new account in Outlook which checks the local mail server, while my Oulook email existing accounts continue to check my ISP's pop3 server?

Had hoped there may have been a purely intranet SMTP server option; ie. with no links beyond the local network.
    Attached Images Attached Images