5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error messages popping up (Vista)

Dear Loungers,

I have an Acer laptop with a built-in wireless card. Lately, I have been getting a message that pops up about 5-10 times a day that says, "Wireless is connected, do you really want to turn off the wireless antenna?"

Does anyone know where that message is coming from? I find it tends to come up with frequency when I connect or disconnect the power. However, it sometimes just pops up spontaneously as well.

I don't think it has to do with a power saving mode, since my laptop is set to maximum performance.

Any ideas on what is happening?

Regards,

Jmt

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: Error messages popping up (Vista)

See if Antenna Warning On Vista helps.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Joe,

Actually, that doesn't apply because my power settings are already set to maximum performance, so Windows isn't turning off the antenna to save power in Save Power mode.

The most odd thing about my system is that the error message usually appears not when I unplug and go on batter, but just the opposite: when I plug in.

In any event, I just changed the power settings from Maximum Performance to Balanced. Let's see if it helps any.

Regards,

Jmt

Administrator
    Thanks

You could check the power setrtings in device manager just to be sure - right click Computer and select Manage. Click on Device Manager and then open the Network Adapters. Right click your wireless adapter and select properties. There should be a Power Management tab.

Joe
    Joe

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interestingly, I can report that moving the power settings from maximum to balanced solved the problem. It doesn't make any sense; one would think that Vista would always keep the antenna running when the laptop is set to maximum performance. Go figure.

Regards,

JMT

Administrator
    Thanks

Maximum performance does not mean network performance. I'm pretty sure it means local computer performance. That means the network can be shut off to save power so the other local devices will last longer.

Anyway, glad you found it. Thanks for posting back your results.

Joe
    Joe