3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

IE7 slow to start in XP SP3 (XP SP3)

I have installed SP3 after being badgered by LiveOneCare and auto-updates. It has gone in pretty well, but IE7 now takes some 12secs to load. During this time it sits there with a large white screen and the word "connecting" in the space where the tab name is going to appear.

Anyone know what it is up to during this period. Process explorer shows IE7 consuming 99% of the resources....

Mike C

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: IE7 slow to start in XP SP3 (XP SP3)

I don't know what causes it, but I've had Windows XP SP3 for almost a month now and 95% of the time IE7 starts quickly, so I don't think SP3 itself is the culprit.

Note: once in a while IE7 doesn't get past "Connecting" at all however long I wait, and I have to kill it using Task Manager (where it is shown as using no processor capacity at all). But this also happened under SP2, and it doesn't happen more frequently under SP3.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I you have the Google toolbar, try disabling it. It was killing my IE7 (SP2 and SP3).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

In what sense? I've been running IE7 with the Google toolbar, first on Windows XP SP2, now on SP3. It might be responsible for the occasional failure of IE7 to start, but in general it works very well, without discernible (other) problems.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Interesting...

By slow, I meant that it was stalled on "connecting" with a blank screen for around 12 seconds, This is far longer than before. I know its only seconds, but the user experience notices this a lot. I was helping someone yesterday who has a laptop running under W2K and I was staggered to remember how fast all that was - on a much slower machine. Hey ho progress.

I have been using Google toolbar, and I will try without it for a bit and see what I feel. I have also recently installed copernic desektop search, but noticed no ill effects at the time. Just in case it conflicts with SP3 I have also switched this off for the moment...

regards,

Mike C

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

With Google toolbar active, IE7 takes around 3 minutes to load. I have 6 active tabs. When Google toolbar is disabled, it takes 15 seconds. I'm not using the beta version of the toolbar.

At work, but IE6, our systems folks had to uninstall Google from a number of machines due to the slowness 'bug'.

Perhaps it's conflicting with other add-ins?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

3 minutes is extremely long. If disabling the Google toolbar cures it, it might well be a caused by a conflict between Google toolbar and other add-ins...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    I am really sorry, but I didnt get any email notification that there was a response to my posts. It is not my habit to ignore help at all.

I have removed the Google toolbar and tried a number of combinations of add-in. For me, disabling the google toolbar is the best alternative and gives reasonable response times.

regards,

Mike

PS. Why might I not have got an email notification? M

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

sorry to bother you, but can I post a question on chkdsk and if so where

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

I'm not Hans but it is no bother anyway. Sure, you can post a question about chkdsk. The XP forum is a good place to start. If it turns out that it is not appropriate we can move the thread.

Joe
    Joe

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> PS. Why might I not have got an email notification? M

When you posted your question in May, we were on a server with a contract that would let us send out only a limited number of e-mails per day, so some notifications didn't get sent.
    At the end of June, we moved to a new server that doesn't have this limitation, so notifications should be sent without problems now.
    (But, because of the Law of Conservation of Misery, we now have to live with the server being very slow every day between 23:00 and 01:00 UTC = Greenwich Mean Time)

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,
    Just to tidy things up in this thread....

I ran a period of time with and without a number of toolbars etc on a desktop and a laptop machine. I found it quite easy to persuade myself that having the Google toolbar displayed (as distinct from installed) was the biggest contributor to the problem on both machines. I now run without the toolbar routinely displayed and invoke it as required.

Regards, and thanks for your explanation on the notification emails

Mike C

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

You ought to make sure you have the most current version of the Google Toolbar. It has been known to be a troublemaker occassionally.

Joe
    Joe