5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Startup programs deleted via MSCONFIG (Home/SR2)

I inadvertently must've hit Disable All in the Startup window. Is there a way to retrieve my choices: which ones I want to Startup and which I do want disabled? I must've done this yesterday. I checked System Restore and there's no restore point until 4 days prior....

Thank you.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Startup programs deleted via MSCONFIG (Home/SR

Hmmm... In msconfig there is usually a check box next to each item you want removed. If you removed the checks, simply put them back in and it should be fixed. Of if you want all enabled, select Enable All. Isn't that correct??
    Attached Images Attached Images

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, I understand that. My problem is that I cannot remember which ones I wanted to enable/disable, so I was wondering if there is something like a "backup" to that list. A long shot but...

Acer

Thanks

Re: Startup programs deleted via MSCONFIG (Home/SR2)

Can you not perform a System Restore (to the 4 days earlier), make note of the settings in MSConfig, Undo the last restoration, and then duplicate the MSConfig settings?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

In theory, all of the items in msconfig are supposed to be checked. It is generally thought of only as a diagnostic tool. If you don't want something to start, you can remove it more permanently using a startup utility.

That being said, many people use msconfig as a startup utility -- and I guess you are one of them! The above answer is likely what you want. I don't know of any other backup to msconfig. The data is stored in your registry, so you need to look at your registry from a few days ago.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, John. I had originally thought to do just that - use System Restore, but wasn't sure if that affected system restore. So, before proceeding, I came here. Especially appreciate your mentioning "Undo the last restoration."

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Usually, when I launch msconfig, I get a window like this. If I select Normal Startup, it returns me to where I was before, without any programs which were previously unchecked.

Chris
    Attached Images Attached Images

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but... I am fairly certain that if he inadvertently selected to Disable All under the Startup tab, and then restarted his computer everything should be reset. Even if he selected "Normal Startup", the items remain unchecked and therefore will not start.
    ______

FWIW:

Un-checking a box on the Startup tabs generally removes a Registry value from:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftWindowsCurrentV ersionRun

...and makes a new key here:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESOFTWAREMicrosoftShared ToolsMSConfigstartupreg

...which stores the information. If you then decide to recheck the box (and Apply this), the key is removed from the ...startupreg key and the value is recreated in the ...Run key. So the ...startupreg key is simply the storage area for unchecked items on the Startup tab.

But, once all of the boxes are un-checked and all of the values are moved to the storage key, there is no way for Windows to "remember" which items used to be checked. However, an old snap shot of the registry would work. So, using System Restore to restore the registry is likely his best bet.