4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

List Display suggestions (Access 2003)

Don't know if it's politically correct to seek suggestions, but someone could have a better way to do this. I have a textbox memo field on a form. Text gets entered describing a football match. As the user types in text, 4 listboxes are queried against a players name being in a table of names. The reasons of 4 Listboxes - the text being typed in maybe a players surname, or it maybe the players forename. So listbox 1 Fills with "like" records to a forename being entered, and displays complete name and listbox 2 fills with the surname only in listindex order to list 1 (ie both have same queries in but list column visibles set to appropriate show the column required.

Hope I have not let you all be confused, but it will become clearer.

List 3 and List 4 work in the same process, except they look for "like" matches to a surname being entered. List 3 displays Surnames, List 4 displays complete name

If the user sees what he is looking for in a list, wether its a complete name or surname he can click that list and the list item gets pasted into the memo field with a trailing space so further text can be entered. When the spacebar is hit, the lists are cleared and start requerying on the next word being typed in.

The whole concept behind this is to speed up the time in a user filling in the memo field, ie it shortcuts having to type in a complete entry for a name thats in the system (table)

It woud be good if I could turn a listbox into grid.

Many thanks, sorry if it''s a strange order.

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: List Display suggestions (Access 2003)

I understand your description, but not your remark near the end "It woud be good if I could turn a listbox into grid." What do you want?

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. I guess grid is the wrong word. It would be good if I could reduce the 4 listboxes to 2, having listboxes that had 2 columns with the ability to select one of the two columns. However I think multiselect boxes only have a row selection and not a row/column one. I think I will either have to stick with 4 listboxes or have 2 subforms in continuos form mode dressed up a a listbox but these are the only two ways I can see. Unfortunately as there is only text being entered in one textbox I cannot differentiate whether they were typing in a complete name or just a surname. Just thought I would put it up in case someone had any other alternatives. Thanks again.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You are correct that a list box only returns information about the row clicked/selected by the user, not about the column. Subforms would indeed be an alternative. Or you could add a check box that lets the user switch between full name and just forename or surname.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans, I had not considered check boxes. Thats an excellent idea and would reduce the clutter of 4 listboxes or the work required making subforms. Many thanks, Regards