Star Lounger
    Southern Highlands, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks

Mail Merge/Data Source (W2000/Win98SE)

I have a mail merge main document and its associated data source that was created using the Mail Merge Helper.
    I now wish to add some new fields to the main document and the data source. I can achieve the first bit but not the second. Word Help says to add fields to a data source via the Manage Fields button of the Database toolbar whilst displaying the data source file. However every time I try to add a new fields I get the Message "This exceeds the maximum width." Even if I delete some old fields from the list I still cannot add any new fields.
    I suspect that will not be able to add any new fields to data sources of this type. Is this true? (I have used Excel as a data source but can't use it on this machine as it isn't installed!!) So, if I can't add a new field to the data source, is there a way I can set up a new data source - using the Helper- add the new fields and copy the old fields into the new one? And then copy all the old source data into the new source file?
    Cheers John.

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail Merge/Data Source (W2000/Win98SE)

John,
    The data source you have is nothing but a word table.
    Check:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q253/6/00.ASP>http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/ar...s/Q253/6/00.ASP</A>

Does this apply?

Good luck,
    Bob_D

**Edited by BAM to include URL tags**

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,
    Thanks for your help. I tried the workarounds from the KB article but without success. I continue to get the exceeds maximum width message. I am now trying to create a new document from scratch and only get half way thru my source fields (there are 42 fields to enter) before I get the same error message! I'm a bit stumped at the moment.
    Ciao
    John

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

#1 - Is it possible to post a sample data source.
    Edit the table to just the first 2 top rows and purge any sensitive material.

#2 - If you have Excel, convert the data source to Excel via a simple copy table and paste into Excel.

Good luck,
    Bob_D

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Bob,
    It beat me!!! I just could not get anything to work so I created a new source file which included the additional fields, hooked it onto the existing mail merge document and everything is working fine. Now all I need is to be asked "Oh John, do you think we could just add one more field." AHHHHHHG!!!!
    Cheers
    John