5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fields based on Heading 1 (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I have a document, and in this document, I have set up a header based on fields, which is based on StyleRef / Heading 1, which is the name of each chapter set up in an outline form, where Heading 1 is outline level one with the automatic text "Chapter X" followed by the chapter title, which I manually type in.

It all works fine, except for the fact that the header does not copy the "Chapter 1" automatic text from the Heading 1 style; it only copies in the text that I manually typed after the "Chapter 1." Is there a way to get Word to copy in the "Chapter X" preceding the text into the header?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Fields based on Heading 1 (2003)

You can insert an additional StyleRef field with the n switch. This will display the Chapter X text. See Field codes: StyleRef field for reference (click Show All).

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Hans. I kind of got it to work, but not really.

I added "N" to the current field code, which is "STYLEREF "HEADING 2" * MERGEFORMAT" to get this result: "STYLEREF "HEADING 2" * MERGEFORMAT N," but now, the only thing that shows is the outline number (the words typed after are no longer showing up. How would I get both to show up?

Regards,

Jmt

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

By using two StyleRef fields - one with n and the other one without it.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Hans,

Now I am getting the number, and the field, but it is leaving out the word "chapter" (which I inserted as heading 1 on my customized outline). Is it possible to get "chapter" to go along with the number when I include the N switch, or do I have to manually type out the word "chapter"?

Regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you specified Chapter nn in the Outline Numbered tab of the Bullets and Numbering tab, the word Chapter should be included in the StyleRef field with the n switch.