3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

File storage ideas

Hello everyone. I have a small remote office that is needing a good file storage setup. They'll be saving a lot of images. I'm trying to decide the best thing for them while trying to keep in within a certain budget. Obviously the less that can be spent the better, but they don't want to go with a cheap thrown together option. They'd like something that is either redundant or that will need to be backed up often. I kind of figure if it's redundant (like a RAID setup) than a regular backup is as necessary. However, if it's just an external drive hanging off of a computer than backing it up often becomes a necessity. Does that make sense?

There's the idea of using a RAID system (like the DROBO or something cheaper), a new workstation with huge internal drives shared over the network, a huge external drive connected via USB and shared over the network, etc. We want an easy solution, too, not one that will require much ongoing administration. An easy setup and minimal administration on anyone's part is preferred.

We've spec'd out a workstation idea for them and that will cost around $2,500. This cost includes a couple of network drops. The system has an internal 500GB drive and an external 500GB drive that would be used to back up the internal drive to. What are you thoughts on a good way to accomplish this?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 928 Posts

Re: File storage ideas

Is there a server at the remote office already? What is your network topolgy (i.e. Windows domain, Linux, etc)? Check out something like Buffalo Technology - Products - TeraStation™. There are lots of others too. See the links at nas storage products - Live Search for Dell, Netapp, Exanet, etc.

No matter what kind of network storage you use you should still plan a regular backup regimen.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the reply. There isn't a server out there, and we don't want to install one for obvious reasons. We run a Windows server 2003 network. I'll check out NAS storage ideas. Thanks.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

About 2 years ago, I helped setup a small wired/wireless network that needed NAS (Network Access storage). At the time, RAID was NOT a priority and thus not used. An additional requirement was to have a network access printer.

A mid level computer using XP Pro was used with access to the internet via DSL (Digital Subscriber Line).

The solution:
    Used Wireless MAXg Router with Print Server with DSM-G600; Wireless Network Storage Enclosure.

The US Robotics Router router included a printer server for a USB attached printer.

As the name implies, DSM-G600; Wireless Network Storage Enclosure does not come with a hard drive. You add one. The reason it was chosen was Wireless access AND TWO USB ports (allowing 2 additional external hard drives to be added).

One additional external hard drive was added for automated backup of the main hard drive using backup software. DSM-G600 was used as wireless access to the router, thus all networked computers had access to the storage and freeing one of the router's wired ports. You can also configure the DSM -G600 to stay hooked up via ethernet cable.

Later when more computers needed wired access to the router, we added a network switch.

The data security was four fold: Router Firewall, Data transfer encryption on the router, Data transfer encryption on GSM-G600, XP Pro directory and file protection (Public versus private versus passworded files/subdirectories).

To date, the system is still working.

HTH
    Scott