5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Black area (2007)

My daughter is creating a presentation for an interview, but is new to Powerpoint. Because she does not know the size of the screen her presentation will be shown on, she wants it to fill as much of the screen as possible. The top and bottom are fine, but there are two wide black edges on the left and right of the screen. How can we get rid of these.We are both new to Powerpoint in 2007.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Black area (2007)

By default, PowerPoint uses a 4:3 aspect ratio, corresponding to "classic" resolutions such as 640x480, 800x600 and 1024x768, and most beamers/projectors use this aspect ratio too (at the moment and as far as I know), so the presentation should look OK when presented through a beamer/projector, and it's probably best to stick with the default setting.
    Your daughter's computer screen may have a different aspect ratio such as 5:4 (the 1280x1024 resolution commonly used for 17" to 19" LCD monitors) or one of the "widescreen" formats. It may not necessarily be useful to try to fill the entire computer screen, especially with a widescreen monitor, since the eventual presentation may not use the same aspect ratio.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans. She just wanted to cover any eventuality. She just wanted to know if you can get rid of the black, without altering the screen size, as it could be any size screen her presentation is viewed on. We have a large lcd tv connected to a pc at work, and not a projector.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

When you run a presentation, PowerPoint automatically expands the slide to fill the available real estate without distorting the slide, i.e. there may be black bars on the left and right or on the top and bottom.
    There is no way to make a PowerPoint presentation adjust itself to fully use *any* screen size regardless of the aspect ratio.

Your daughter could perhaps find out the resolution of the LCD TV, and adjust the aspect ratio (i.e. width : height) of the slides to be the same as that of the TV in File | Page Setup... The most common aspect ratio for widescreen LCD TVs is 16:9.

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Hans.