Star Lounger
    Thanks

Adding Field Values on Form (Access 2003)

I am trying to place a text box on a form. The formula in the text box adds about 15 currency fields from four different queries. None of the fields is a calculated field, all are number fields. I've tried typing the formula, I've tried using the Expression Builder and copying the result into the control. Everything results in the NAME error.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Craig.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Adding Field Values on Form (Access 2003)

Are the fields included in the record source of the form?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:

Thanks for the response.

No. The record source is one on the four queries. The form contains three sub-forms from the other three queries. The totals control adds values from all four queries. I thought that if the query name and field was included, Access could include values from a query other than the record source of the form.

Not so?

Craig.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> I thought that if the query name and field was included, Access could include values from a query other than the record source of the form

No, it can't, at least not directly.

If the fields are included in the record sources of the subforms, you can refer to them on the main form as

[SubformName]![ControlName]

where SubformName is the name of the subform as a control on the main form; this is not necessarily the same as the name of the subform in the database window. You can see the control name by opening the main form in design view and clicking once on the subform. The Name property is the control name.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Hans:

Here's the formula I used:
    =[Applicant Query]![KTAP]+[Applicant Query]![ChildSupport]+[Applicant Query]![FoodStamps]+[Applicant Query]![SSI_SSD]+[Applicant

Query]![EarnedIncome]+[Applicant Query]![OtherIncome]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpKTAP]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]!

[SpChildSuppport]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpFoodStamps]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpWIC]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]!

[SpHUD]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpSS]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpSSI_SSD]+Forms![SubSpouse Form]![SpOther]+Forms!

[SubSpouse Form]![SpEarned]+Forms![SubChild Form]![ChSS_SSI_SSD]+Forms![Sub Additional Adults Form]![MonthlyIncome]

What am I missing?

Craig.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If Applicant Query is the record source of the main form, try omitting the [Applicant Query]! from before the relevant control names.
    And omit Forms! from before the references to the subform. A subform is not part of the Forms collection

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Perhaps that's where I have gone astray. I'm in the habit of actually creating a subform in the Forms objects, then placing each subform on a separate tab of the main form. So, when I use the expression builder, it puts "Form!" before the name of the tabbed form named "subchild form" for example.