3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Macros (Excel 2003)

I have saved some macros in the Personal Workbook so they are usable across all the Excel spreadsheets.
    I have tried to find the Personal.xls on my machine but can not seem to locate it.
    Any idea where I might find it. I would like to copy this file and use it on multiple computers. (work, home, school...)

Thanks
    Richard

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Macros (Excel 2003)

The default location for Personal.xls is Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART.
    The Application Data folder is a hidden folder, so you must show hidden files and folders in Windows Explorer in order to be able to see it. You can specify this in the View tab of Tools | Folder Options in Windows Explorer.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Excellant.

Thanks
    Richard

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans,

A "default" location suggests that I can change it - somewhat like Word that allows an alternate location for templates and other things per the Tools | Options dialog. I didn't see such a thing for Excel. If there is one, I'd like to know how to find it since I'm always forgetting where personal.xls is.

Thks.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You can specify an alternate startup folder:
    <UL><LI>Select Tools | Options...
    <LI>Activate the General tab.
    <LI>Enter a valid path in the "At startup, open all files in:" box. Unfortunately, there is no Browse... button; you can copy the path from the Address bar in Windows Explorer and paste it here.
    <LI>Click OK.[/list]Excel will open all files in this folder in addition to all files in the Cocuments and Settings<username>Application DataMicrosoftExcelXLSTART folder each time it is started. So you could move Personal.xls to the alternate startup folder. (Warning: don't copy it, for if there are copies in both startup folders, Excel will try to open both of them and this will cause an error message since Excel can't open two workbooks with the same name simultaneously.)
    If you have forgotten the new location of Personal.xls, you can look it up in the General tab of Tools | Options...

Note: there is yet another startup location for Excel: C:Program FilesMicrosoft OfficeOffice11XLStart (Office11 is for Office 2003, it's Office10 for Office XP and Office12 for Office 2007). This folder is maintained for historical purposes. It is not a good location for Personal.xls because it's the same for all users of the computer, so it defeats the purpose of having a personal macro workbook.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans.

I had looked at that option and didn't make the association. It wasn't as obvious as Word's paths.

Fred

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The XLStart folder for Excel is comparable to Word's Startup folder - the application will open all files in this folder.

The User Templates and Workgroup Templates folders have a different purpose - they are used to store templates that can be used to create new documents/workbooks. Excel uses the same template folders as Word, like all other Office applications.
    The issue is complicated slightly because Word's default template Normal.dot does double duty: as the template for blank new documents (hence its location in the user templates folder) and as the repository for personal macros. Normal.dot is opened automatically when Word starts even though it is not stored in Word's Startup folder.