4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

recalulation speed (Excel 2003)

I am trying to speed up a spreadsheet and need some information on how Excel 2003 calculates. I am working with 36 years of daily data and have 11 columns (C through M) of calculations. I also have an array column which refers to column J with a LARGE($J$17:$J$13165,ROW()-16) formula. This is done in 2 worksheets. There are also some charts which refer to a couple of the 11 columns and the array column.

Does position within a worksheet affect recalculation speed? If the answer is no, ignore the rest of the post <g>.

Does this Excel version calculate by row, left to right, top to bottom? Would the array formulas calculate quicker if they were placed below the array to which they refer as opposed to the right of the array?

If a formula refers to a cell in another spreadsheet, would recalculation be quicker if the referred worksheet occurs in front of the worksheet with the referring formula?

Would a chart refresh more quickly if it occurs after the worksheet(s) to which it refers?

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: recalulation speed (Excel 2003)

I don't know the answer to your questions, but you'll find some useful information on the Decision Models website: How the Excel Smart Recalculation Engine works and Importance of Excel Calculation Speed. In both cases, click the links at the top of the page for related subjects.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: recalulation speed (Excel 2003)

Ineresting reading! Thanks.
    From what I read, it appears that positiion within a workbook/worksheet is not that important.