liner

Printing with Pagination with sections (2003)

I have a document that has multiple sections, each with a separate pagination sequence. At times when I have to make corrections, I like to print out only the desired pages. But, as everyone quickly learns, highlighting and printing means that the headers can become missing. So, specify printing pages 3-6. But what happens when I have several pages 3-6?

Now the display on the bottom ribbon states "Page 4 Sec 3 6/1107" where the latter is the true page count. How can I specify this "true" page count in the print command?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Printing with Pagination with sections (2003)

It can be done! I believe the page range to enter for pages 3-6 of section 4, for example, would be 3s4-6s4.

I don't know if there are ways to easily designate printing pages 3-6 of multiple sections, like sections 4 and 10 and 92.

liner

Thank you!

(To be honest, I came back here because I found the information in of all places, Help. That NEVER seems to work, but this time it did. And I wanted to post the information. But thank you so much for the quick reply.)

Regarding your comment, according to Help: "Type the page numbers with commas between them. Type the range of pages with a hyphen between the starting and ending numbers in the range. For example, to print pages 2, 4, 5, 6, and 8, type 2,4-6,8." Note that the example shows continually increasing numbers. I suspect that the section p & s would not affect things.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> Note that the example shows continually increasing numbers

The pages will print in whatever order you supply the numbers. When I print booklets I create a complex string of page numbers to get them to print in the required order.

StuartR

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In my experience, entering something like p3s1-p6s1, p3s2-p6s2, p3s4-p6s4, while verbose, is arguably the best and most efficient way to ensure you're printing the right pages from the right sections.
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Is the p actually necessary? In playing around with this, I get the same results from

p2s1,p1s2,p2s3

as I do from

2s1,1s2,2s3.

Also I notice that this page and section printing scheme only works if the page numbering is restarted at 1 (or probably any other number) in each section, and not if the pages are numbered consecutively from beginning to end of the doc. I suppose this is logical, but it surprises me.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I had never tried using 2s1 instead of p2s1 because the Word help file only mentions the latter option - see Print a document and click Show All. It does indeed work if you omit the "p". This can be useful if you want to specify a very long string of individual pages or page ranges. The maximum length of the string is 255 characters, so omitting the "p"s will let you specify more pages in one go. Thanks for this tip!

The pages string uses the page numbers as displayed, so if pages are numbered consecutively across sections, you shouldn't use (p)2s3 notation, but just specify the page numbers instead.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your thanks, Hans! And Stuart -- I hadn't realized that the order was respected, thank you for that "news to me" morsel!

The p-less 2s1 thing must come from an old old version of Word, because I've been using it (#s#) for over a decade, I'm sure. Possibly 2 decades! Heck, it might have been Word for DOS.

Remember when Word (for DOS) came with 2 manuals, one a "How-To" and the other a Reference manual that worked thru every command under every menu item, from left to right and top to bottom, telling us all there was to know about each command? I loved that book, and long for a modern edition of it. Tho I realize that such an opus would fill several volumes, these days...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've been using the "p" prefix to specify the page for many, many years, and I, too, still use the "p" simply because that's how it was documented in Word's help file.

FWIW: We prepare documents for submission to regulatory agencies, and regularly work with mutant-documents laden with section breaks, tables, and hidden text, but almost invariably paginated 1 through n. Many times, users have problems printing specific pages from these documents, sometimes even an otherwise simple page range. But, what I have found (and thus practice to this day) is that I never have a problem printing specific pages or page-ranges as long as I use the "pnsn" method of specifying pages, whether or not page re-numbering is used throughout the document.

And, like Hans, learning that the "p" isn't actually required is very cool and will be useful in my work. Thanks for that!
    <font face="Comic Sans MS">That's what you do in a herd; you look out for each other!</font face=comic> - Mike

Star Lounger
    Thanks

"Mutant-documents," I love it -- I hope you don't mind if I borrow that phrase, Mike...

Judy (I see typos. They're everywhere...)