3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Shared Exchange Calendar: Empty when not (2007 (SP

We have an ongoing issue with Calendars, and I wonder if anyone has a similar problem to which they've found a workaround.

User A has Calendar Shared with *Default* Permissions set to 'Reviewer'
    User A has an appointment in his/her Calendar
    User B opens User A's shared Calendar, and the appointment doesn't appear
    User C opens User A's shared Calendar, and the appointment IS in there
    User B may go in at a later date to view User A's Calendar, and the appointment now appears

This can turn into a nightmare if someone looks at User A's Calendar and sees it empty, as they can go ahead and setup appointments (which would then have to be canceled), take equipment that has already been booked (if it's a Resource), etc.

This is an ongoing, sporadic problem, and no matter how much we clear the Free/Busy Information, this keeps reoccurring. We have a lot of Users' Outlook shortcuts set-up to open withe the /cleanfreebusy switch, but we obviously can't do that for Calendars setup as Resources.

Is this a bug that everyone else experiences? Is there a workaround? Is there a way to report this to Microsoft? I wish Microsoft would store the Free/Busy info on Exchange instead of waiting for Outlook to redraw the Free/Busy map!

Thanks for any tips or advice.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Exchange Calendar: Empty when not (2007 (SP

I sometimes see this at work. The explanation the IT help desk gave me is that we have 4 Exchange servers that are continuously being synchronized, but the synchronization is not instantaneous. If users A and C are on the same Exchange server, C will see an appointment immediately after A has created it. If B is on another Exchange server, it'll take a few minutes before B will see the appointment.

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Shared Exchange Calendar: Empty when not (2007 (SP

What is the update interval? Check this in Outlook - Tools | Options | Calendar Options button | Free/Busy options button | Other Free/Busy button.

Joe
    Joe

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Shared Exchange Calendar: Empty when not (2007

Thanks Hans & Joe

Hans, we only have 1 Exchange Server, so I imagine it should be the same for everyone.

Joe, each Resource (Room) has the same Free/Busy options, ie, 15 minutes.

Exchange has a User's Map on it, right? So when a user requests a Calendar, the Map is sent from Exchange to the Client then and there (I presume). If so, then the same Map should be sent to anyone who requests it . . . or does each Client download every single person in the Organization's Calendar Map? That would seem an unbelievable waste of Network Traffic. Imagine 500 Clients all requesting a Map Update for every other Client in the organization every few minutes!!!

*sigh*