Thanks

Vista and msmsgs.exe (Vista Business SP1)

Hi -- for years, one of the first things I've done when configuring a new PC was to turn msmsgs.exe off. Now I'm in a slight quandary. I have new APC UPSes connected to Vista SP1 PCs, which offer me the ability to receive alerts, but in order to get them, I need to have msmsgs.exe enabled.

APC indicated that they will still safely power-down the PC, but I won't get the alerts without the service enabled. Apparently, the service is no longer included in Vista... Anyone have any ideas how else I might be able to have APC (UPS) send messages across my network?

Administrator
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,057 Times in 926 Posts

Re: Vista and msmsgs.exe (Vista Business SP1)

Msmsgs.exe is the main part of Windows Messenger. I believe you are thinking of the Messenger Service which indeed is gone in Vista. The only way I know of for network messages is to install some third party software. However, this does not help with the APC software. Sorry.

Joe
    Joe

Thanks

Re: Vista and msmsgs.exe (Vista Business SP1)

Thanks, Joe. I decided to not use APC's Powerchute software after my attempt at upgrading my wife's PC to XP SP3 (I have the full admin install) -- setup complained that it needed to install while plugged into AC, not a battery... wtf? Long story short - I'll use the APC's as I've always used them for the last couple decades - sans Powerchute.