5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quotation marks (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I have a document whose quotation marks I am trying to replace with these symbols: « and ». However, when I type them into the replace field in the find and replace dialogue box in order to replace ordinary quotation marks (" and "), Word finds quotation marks and just replaces them with other quotation marks, as though there were ordinary quotation marks in the replace field (nothing is changed). Any ideas as to why?

Regards,
    Jmt

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quotation marks (2003)

I get the same result as you. Although it claims to have made the replacement. Interestingly, the opposite does work. Now to find out why....

OK, it seems to have a strange relationship to Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat | Replace | "Straight Quotes" with "Smart Quotes" -- AND maybe also: Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You Type | Replace | "Straight Quotes" with "Smart Quotes".

On my first attempts, if BOTH of those are checked, then the Replacement does *not* occur, but if only one of those are checked, then the Replacement does occur -- as best I can tell! I am out of time, so you want to fool around with those settings to see if this is a AND/OR/XOR relationship!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As far as I can tell, Tools | AutoCorrect Options | AutoFormat As You Type | "Straight Quotes" with "Smart Quotes" is the culprit. Turning it off lets Word replace the quotes the way JMT wants. The AutoFormat setting doesn't matter.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for finishing that up -- I had to run out.