5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Add to dictionary (2003)

Dear Loungers,

I frequently find myself adding a word to a dictionary and then later finding the word is again underlined in red squiggly. For example, I recently added a word to the dictionary and then later reopened the document and wrote the word again, the second entry of the same word had a red squiggly underline, although the same word in another part of the document did not.

Why is this happening? Can't I get Word to recognize the word everytime it shows up in any document?

Best regards,

JMT
    PS - does anyone know why Woody never responds to my messages?

2. Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Add to dictionary (2003)

The custom dictionaries are language-dependent. Make sure that the correct language has been set.

> does anyone know why Woody never responds to my messages?

What do you mean? Do you send him private messages here in Woody's Lounge, or e-mails? Or do you expect him to reply to your posts?

Thanks

To add to the post by HansV, it is possible that the same language is not set for all the paras in your document. That might explain why some instances of a word are seen as correct and some as incorrect. You could make sure that you have the same throughout by selecting the whole document and then setting the language to Spanish, English (US) or whatever. One unintended reason for having varying languages in a document can be that you have pasted paras from a document with say US English into a document with UK English. On the other hand, you might want to have some paras marked as Spanish and some as English so that the spelling is checked correctly in both languages.

Ian

5 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Dear Hans,

I was wondering why Woody doesn't respond to my posts. I have been waiting to hear from him in order to say "THANK YOU FOR THE LOUNGE!"

Regarding adding languages, I didn’t think that was the issue because both instances of the word, the one that is marked as misspelled and the other that correctly registered when I added it to the dictionary, show up as having the same language. However, when I select the entire document and put them in the same language, the red squiggly disappears, amazingly. Doesn’t make much sense.

I suspected it was related to headings, because when I added the word in the heading to the dictionary, the squiggly line in the body text under the same word remained. But when I added the word in the body text to the custom dictionary, the same word in another part of the body text no longer showed up as a misspelling (all three words were set to the same language).

In any event, resetting all the text in the document to the right language seemed to solve the problem.

Best regards,

JMT

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Woody Leonhard is the owner of this website, but he is not directly involved in its day-to-day running. He rarely replies to questions about Word etc.