New Lounger
    Thanks

Using Combo box to limit other combo box (2000)

Dear Experts,
    I'm trying to use the value from an unbound combo box on a form to limit the values visible in another (bound) combo box on the same form.
    I have a one to many relationship defined between LocationID and AssetID (one location has many assets)
    In this case I'm selecting a LocationID in the first (unbound) combo box, and then I ONLY want to see the AssetIDs in the second (bound) combo box that are related to the "variable" Location ID I've already selected in the unbound combo box.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Using Combo box to limit other combo box (2000)

Francois

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

SEE ACC2000: How to Synchronize Two Combo Boxes on a Form. Feel free to post back if you need more detailed help.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thank You, Hans and Francois!
    The solutions you provided for Synchronizing two Combo Boxes is EXACTLY what I needed.
    You guys are fantastic.
    - cradu

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks again for pointing me to the solution for synchronizing combo boxes.
    This works great , however (as you probably know) the unbound data persists during record navigation unless I use the "On Loose Focus" event to re-set the value of my unbound combo boxes to = "".
    Having old unbound data hanging around during record navigation confused users who wanted to review their entries for the day, so setting the control back to "" On Lose Focus was better than perceived mis-matched data

I'd rather re-set the unbound controls at the form level, upon Go to Next Record or Go to Previous Record, rather than the field level On Loose Focus.
    It would be best yet, if I could dynamically set the value of an unbound control (such as an un-editable text box on the form) using the current record's bound AssetID value as a "lookup" or query parameter. So that if a user navigates records, the Asset Description displayed (in any simple unbound control) will always be related to the bound Asset ID for that record.

Example:
    1) When I choose an Asset Description from my Assets cboBox, the related Asset ID value is automatically set into a BOUND (and un-editable) AssetID field on the form.
    2) I'd like to later use that bound AssetID value, so that if a user navigates records backward or forward, the related Asset Description to that AssetID is always refreshed in an unbound control on the form

I just can't seem to find the right "event " or method that will update my unbound controls properly , and am not even sure if I should do it as an event procedure at the field level, default field value, etc.

Thanks again for your most appreciated help!
    -Chris

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The On Current event of a form occurs each time the user navigates to another record, so that would be the one to use.