Star Lounger
    Thanks

Keyboard shortcuts in global templates won't work (2007)

Hello. We have a global template (.dotm) containing macros and keyboard shortcuts to those macros. The template is in crogram filesmicrosoft officeoffice12startup, a Trusted Location.

The keyboard shortcuts don't work. The macros do appear in, and can be Run from, Developer, Macros.

If I move the global template to C:Users<username>AppDataRoamingMicrosoftWordStartu p, another Trusted Location, then the shortcut keys work - but the macros are not available via Developer, Macro.

Apparently, keyboard shortcuts to global macros in Word 2007 only work if the global template is in the Roaming startup folder (or if the macros are in Normal.dotm).

Has anyone else noticed this? I can't find any documentation on it; is it a feature or a bug?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

Regards,

Bob

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Keyboard shortcuts in global templates won't work (2007)

Have you tried creating the keyboard shortcuts anew while the global template is in the folder where you want it? Make sure that the keyboard shortcuts are stored in this global template.

Have you tried changing Word's startup folder?

Thanks

Hans is on the right track -- you need to put your template in the folder identified as the STARTUP folder in Word's Location of Files setting.

I noticed this oddity a while back. The folder in the user's application datamicrosoftWordSTARTUP is the default STARTUP location. If you put something in the program filesmicrosoft office STARTUP folder, it will display your macros, but will not run them. I'm not certain what value there is to this, but I suspect the program files ... STARTUP location is hard coded into the program.

And vice versa -- I believe it will work the same puzzling way if you turn it around and have your STARTUP setting pointing to the program files location and the template in the user's application data location.

So just make sure they match!

Kim

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Ah! Thank you, Hans and Kim.

I usually take my global templates out of Startup before modifying them. That's what I did when I added the shortcut keys.

After reading your replies, I opened the global template from the Startup folder. Deleted the shortcuts, saved the template, re-created the shortcuts. And it worked.

Another one of life's little mysteries solved. Thanks again.

Bob