Star Lounger
    Thanks

Help! Delete an opened document (Word 2003)

Does anyone know how I could delete an opened document. I need to open documents in Word, take information out of the file and then delete the file whilst the document is opened. I know I use to do it years ago in Word not sure if it was using visual basic code or macro. Does anyone have any ideas how I could do this? Appreciate any tips.

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Help! Delete an opened document (Word 2003)

A .doc file is locked while it is open in Word, so you cannot delete it as long as it's open. You can copy part or all of its contents to the clipboard, then close the document and delete the .doc file. The copied content will still be available to be pasted elwehere.