zindze

lost outlook express

Please help...I have office 97 which I guess is where I got outlook and outlook express from on my computer. The problem is that outlook express wont work - when I click on the icon the little egg timer comes up and then goes and nothing happens. I tried to delete the outlook program and then add it again but I failed miserably and ended up salvaging it from my recycle bin!!! How can I get it to work again???? Your help is desperately needed and much appreciated!! Thanks Zindze (And to give you an indication of how computer illiterate I am, I couldn't even create a signature on here!!!)

2. Subscribe to our Windows Secrets Newsletter - It's Free!

Get our unique weekly Newsletter with tips and techniques, how to's and critical updates on Windows 7, Windows 8, Windows XP, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Google, etc. Join our 480,000 subscribers!

Excel 2013: The Missing Manual

+ Get this BONUS — free!

Get the most of Excel! Learn about new features, basics of creating a new spreadsheet and using the infamous Ribbon in the first chapter of Excel 2013: The Missing Manual - Subscribe and download Chapter 1 for free!

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: lost outlook express

first, what version of outlook express do you have? since you can't open it to say, look on internet explorer's help > about menu and tell us that version.

it's doubtfull that outlook is the problem, but you'll probably need to reinstall outlook express.

jmatt

W95 you have 3 choices . With W98 , if you have IE5.1 or higher & you
    still have IE4 installed the following applies . No IE4 only 2 choices .
    IE5.5 if over the top of 5.1 , offers 3 choices .

You can install IE5.1 straight over 4 . A big feature with IE5 is that
    it can be repaired without uninstalling . Here is how to do it . Open
    Control Panel , Add / Remove , click on Microsoft Internet Explorer ,
    then click on add / remove down the bottom . This opens a window with
    3 choices .

Choice 1. Add , insert your IE5 install program & you can find other
    items you may not have installed 1st time .

Choice 2. Repair , fixes problems that may crop up with IE5 / Outlook

Choice 3. If unfixable , removes IE5 & goes back to IE4 , now if you
    want to you can reinstall IE5 or a later version or another browser
    altogether .

zindze

I checked my version and i am using IE5. Would my outlook express have come with IE or with Microsoft Outlook in Office 97? And i cant find outlook express anymore in my computer so i think i have deleted it but i still have Micosoft Outlook. Does this help any? And if i have to reload it where do i get it from to download it???? As you can see i have no idea when it comes to this so feel free to make your replys as simple as possible!! Thanks, Zindze