Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Period as path element (Word 2000 et al.)

For some weeks now I have been annoyed by a weird name that keeps popping up in my Most Recently Used lists.

I am in the habit of using short names (1.JPG) for transient files (such as screen snapshots) saved to Ram Disk (Drive Z).
    So it comes as no surprise that throughout the day I commonly have a file “Z:1.JPG” sitting there and, of course, described in the registry.
    At some stage, a finger-slip must have seen me ask that a file be saved as “Z:.1.JPG” (note the period following the colon), and Windows has obeyed my instructions and stored that file name in the registry.
    When I scan the registry looking for most-recently-used files, I obtain two differently-named entries for the same file, to wit “Z:1.JPG” and “Z:.1.JPG”.
    I know that “period” as an element of a path means “the current directory” (and double-period is up-one-level), so in a sense the spurious period here is, indeed, quite redundant.

Any program code which analyzes a path might therefore include a test for a single period as a node element of the path, and choose to ignore (drop) such node elements as they are discovered, right?

?strFullName
    Z:1.JPG
    ?strFullName
    Z:.1.JPG
    ?strKey
    SoftwareMicrosoftWindowsCurrentVersionExplorerComD lg32OpenSaveMRU

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Period as path element (Word 2000 et al.)

Is this a rant, or a suggestion, or a question?

Platinum Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Period as path element (Word 2000 et al.)

>Is this a rant, or a suggestion, or a question?

"Any program code which analyzes a path might therefore include a test for a single period as a node element of the path, and choose to ignore (drop) such node elements as they are discovered, right?"

Either a question or a suggestion.
    I can't rant on this. It is a well-defined Fullname construct, as defined by practically any source I've read about Microsoft file names.