3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Color Names (Excel 2003)

At times, when choosing a color to format a cell, Excel shows me the color name. E.g., ColorIndex No. 33 is Sky Blue. How can I get the Excel color names for all 56 colors in the default palette?

Thanks

Re: Color Names (Excel 2003)

The Cell color function at OzGrid will do it for the default palette. If you have a custome palette the names may be inaccurate... [Even the tooltip name may be inaccurate if you customize]

[Note VBA only names 8 of the colors (for the color not the colorindex!): vbBlack, vbRed, vbBlue, vbYellow, vbCyan, vbMagenta, and vbWhite). None of the others are officially given names, even though the tooltip has a name for the index

Steve

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, sdckapr!

Interesting that Excel names most colors, but the function returned "Custom color or no fill" for ColorIndex No.s 17 thru 32.

Maybe we should bombard Microsoft with color name suggestions? ColorIndex No. 22: Crisp Coral; ColorIndex No. 29: Gloomy Purple, ...

Thanks

It is not a matter of not having the color, there There is no tooltip for those colorindex values. Note that the fill dialog has 8 columns and 5 rows which is 40 not 56 then other 16 are the default colors for the chart fills and lines (8 for each).

The original computers had the 8 colors and they were named. I presume that XL originally supported only 16 colors and then at some point added the defaults for the charts (could even have been at the same time). When it did more colors (it went to 56) they chose not to reset the index values used for the charts and fills (I presume for backwards compatibility).

Steve