Thread: Refresh (2003)

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Refresh (2003)

I have about 30 charts and tables in a Word document and the source data are in Excel. Once the data are updated in Excel, I have to manually go to each chart/table to "Refresh". Can this be done in one step?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Refresh (2003)

Are the charts and tables linked to Excel? If so, make sure that the links are set to update automatically. You can check this in Edit | Links...
    Also make sure that the check box "Update automatic links at Open" is ticked in the General tab of Tools | Options...

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you for your reply. The charts and tables are linked to Excel but it always gives me 3 messages (two message just inform the links are updated and one of them is "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated. To change the source of links or atttempt to update values again, click Edit/links" which I don't understand and it makes me nervous). When I'm udpating the Excel template, I like to leave the Word document opened to ensure the changes are correctly made. Can this "Refresh" step be put in Macro form?? Thank you.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The message "This workbook contains one or more links that cannot be updated" means that there is a problem in the Excel workbook, not in the Word document.
    So you should open the workbook and look at Edit | Links. You can select a link and "break" it, i.e. replace the link with its result. This should get rid of the error message.

You can update links (and all other fields) as follows using VBA:

ActiveDocument.Fields.Update