Silver Lounger
    Thanks

FormulaArray (XP)

Can one return the value from a FormulaArray when the FormulaArray is written via code?

Example:
    ActiveCell.Offset(0.0).FormulaArray = "=XXXXXXXXXXX"

The only alternative that I see is adding another line of code or two that will turn the results to a value.

Thanks,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: FormulaArray (XP)

The FormulaArray property is used to specify the formula for a cell as an array formula. It doesn't return the result of the formula - you have to look at the value of the cell for that, or perform the calculation in VBA.

Thanks

Why is there an issue with another line of code:

ActiveCell.FormulaArray = "=XXXXXXXXXXX"
    ActiveCell.value = activecell.Value

Will calculate the formula and then replace it with the value...

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for your suggestions it is what I had thought. Although one never knows.....

I have another question as it relates to variables being passed into the array formula.

If I have a cell that has "01" in it and I pass it into an FormulaArray, the leading zero is removed and I am left with a 1. Same thing if the cell contained "04120", the leading zeros are removed. I would like to keep the leading zero.

I have tried declaring a variable for the cell as a String and Variant and have had no luck.

Regards,
    John

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Can you explain in more detail what you are trying to do?

Thanks

Like Hans, I am not exactly sure what you are doing, but I will make a "wild guess":

If the variable is dimmed as one of the number types or a variant, it is not surprising that the leading zero will be removed since it is converted into a number before being used.

If you put it into a variable dimmed as a string with a leading zero it will keep the leading zero.

But it will also depend on what value is actually in the cell. If the cell is TEXT asn has "01" it will be fine in a string variable. If the cell has a number and just formatted to display with a leading zero, then you must add it yourself or use the TEXT property of the cell (eg instead of using something like <pre>myVar = Range("A1").value</pre>

(which gives the value) you can use <pre>myVar = Range("A1").Text</pre>

which stores what the cell display looks like.

Steve

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Hans,

I am trying to do a two-dimensional lookup using a FormulaArray. As an example Cell A1's contents is 01 and B1's contents is 07432. When I use code to generate the FormulaArray, the 01 and 07432 are stripped of the leading zero.

As a work around, I created two variables and pass quote marks before and after the cell contents such as "01" and "07432" which then flows nicely into the FormulaArray.

Regards,
    John