Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Non-updatable query (A2003)

If I have a query that joins a table to itself, is it automatically non-updatable?

Here is situation. I have a parent/child relationship between 2 tables. For each Parent, there are multiple records in the child table (one record for each Admin). The fields in the child table are (ParentID & AdminID comprise the PK):

ParentID
    AdminID
    Notes

On a form, I need to display side-by-side the notes for 2 admins for the same "Parent" record. I created a query joining the child table to itself based on the ParentID, and specifying the proper AdminID. The query works fine, and my form displays the info. Unfortunately, I can't update the fields, as the query is non-updatable.

I can get around this by changing my form so it displays a record for the Notes from one Admin, then uses a subform to display the notes for the other one. But I don't understand why the original query is non-updatable.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-updatable query (A2003)

There is no unique index on the link field (only), so the query is not updateable.

Gold Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Non-updatable query (A2003)

I redid the query, starting with the Parent table and joining each occurance of the child table to it based on the ParentID field (unique to Parent table). Still not updatable. I then changed the recordset of the query to "Inconsistent Updates", and it allowed me to update it.
    Mark Liquorman
    See my website for Tips & Downloads and for my Liquorman Utilities.