3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

AVG 8.0 performance

I have been using AVG 7.5 and SpySweeper 5.5 for some time. When the upgrade to AVG 8.0 was announced, I downloaded and installed the new version.

After a week, I felt convinced my system had slowed down noticeably. I then un-installed AVG 8.0 and re-installed AVG 7.5.

My system response seemed better under the AVG 7.5 version. Has anyone else noticed this, or is is just my imagination?

It is possible that having two anti-spyware programs at the same time caused the slowdown. But I am very reluctant to get rid of SpySweeper. It has done better than any other anti-spyware program I have used.
    Rick Groszkiewicz
    Life is too short to drink bad wine (or bad coffee!)

Thanks

Re: AVG 8.0 performance

No, it isn't your imagination! My server backups take longer under AVG 8 Network Edition, because AVGRSX.EXE appears to be checking every single file before it is written to tape, and it can use large amounts of the CPU, in the high tens of percent. There are comments on high CPU usage on home PCs, too, on various bulletin boards and I understand that the maintenance period for AVG 7.5 Free has been extended now to the end of 2008.
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Edited by Bigaldoc to add URL code.[/i] See the Quick Guide, or the 1-Click TagPanel, or even <!post=this StarPost.,438749>this StarPost.<!/post>

My performance is horrible - I found this article in "The Register" today. It bolsters the perceptions we are seeing

AVG scanner blasts internet with fake traffic | The Register

Tom

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I've found the AVG 8.0 link scanner not only affects performance, but Firefox seems to have a problem with it as well. See thread starting at <post#=713,081>post 713,081</post#> .

Paul

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I always shut down avg8's firewall and now I also will shutdown AVG8's Link Scanner - shutting off the link scanner seems to have restored my performance.

I have a major gripe with avg8 - there does not appear to be any way to have the shutdown of AVG's Firewall across reboots. I have to shut it down (the firewall) after each reboot or it tries to take over from Zone Alarms firewall.

With these 2 problems I am really unhappy with the paid version of AVG8. Their tech support is non existent - I have waited 3 days now for a response to why the shutdown of the firewall is not "sticky". I will now have to wait for my next reboot to see if the shutdown of the link scanner is "sticky".

Tom

Thanks

If you don't want the AVG firewall to start up with Windows, there probably is a separate setting for that. However, I don't use the program, so I wouldn't be able to suggest the correct dialog/checkbox for that. If all else fails, editing the startup sequence (try the Microsoft SysInternals program AutoRuns) might work, but this could affect other components such as antivirus, so it would be a last resort.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I have looked at every setting for AVG8 and have turned the firewall off - the only way it is possible.

Next reboot - it's BAAAAAACK

Not only that, it's email protection adds a AVG toolbar to Outlook - that also has to be turned off after each reboot.

Still haven't rebooted since turning off the Scanner, but my intuition says it is another one that will have to be reset after each reboot - now been 4 days and no response from AVG tech support.

Tom

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

You have a paid version, including a firewall you say. It could be: "AVG Anti-Virus plus Firewall" or "AVG Internet Security" since both includes a firewall ("AVG Anti-Virus" includes "only" Anti-Spyware).

I don't use your product (I use AVG Free), but as you have said, paid, then you have the AVG support (compared to AVG Free users who has to consult other AVG Free users), but there are also FAQs etc. Have you read the User Manual?

Most setup programs these days have the possibility to choose setup type, in this case Custom Installation. So does for instance "AVG Internet Security". With Custom Installation comes a Component Selection dialog box. There you can remove & add components.

So even if you bought a product with a firewall, you have, in this case, the possibility to remove that component. But why did you install it in the first place, or did you add ZA after?

As to AVG in Outlook; in Standard Installation (setup type) it will detect your default email client. AVG has specific plug-ins to support different mail clients; this is something that has sometimes lead to the belief that if ones mail client isn't among them, then AVG can't scan the mail. That is wrong, since in Custom Installation one can select Personal E-mail Scanner and get it working with other mail clients.

Now, I don't use Outlook or AVG 8, but in the AVG setup one can choose to install AVG Security Toolbar, the one that works with the browser, I don't know if this also affects Outlook, don't think so.

Instead it could be part of what AVG installs when it auto detect Outlook as your default client. So, either you configure the setup with no email scanning or chose Personal E-mail Scanner and see if that can be set to scan without adding a "toolbar" in Outlook. Both these [no mail scan or Personal E-mail Scanner] require Custom Installation in setup.

So the answer is; look in the manual and run Custom Installation. I would not consider these (FW & email setup) as performance issues with AVG 8 per se.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Argus - you were right

Complete uninstall / reinstall solved problem. I removed firewall and scanner during install and rebooted. Problems disappeared.

Tom

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Now that my AVG 7.5 licenses have expired, I am forced to upgrade to version 8. As a company user, I purchased multiple licenses for the full 8.0 version.

It seems that AVG 8 has had an adverse effect on browsing (FireFox) and email (Thunderbird). I only need anti-virus protection, but version 8 also includes other stuff such as anti-spyware. I have been using Web Root Spy Sweeper for anti-spyware, and will continue to use it.

I am interested in any suggestions for

(1) Ways to reduce the impact of AVG 8 on system performance under Windows XP computers, or
    (2) Good anti-virus software that doesn't have such a performance penalty
    Rick Groszkiewicz

Super Moderator
    Thanks

I use F-Protect from http://www.f-prot.com/download/ and it is a AV program, nothing else.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

(1) Have you looked at the settings in AVG 8? Also, as mentioned earlier in the thread, it is possible to select some components at install time. A lot is covered in the manual, also mentioned earlier.

As for settings, for instance, for the Resident Shield it is possible to disable "Scan Potentially Unwanted Programs and Spyware threats". I don't know what kind of difference (in performance) it will have.

However, I agree that in certain situations (but there are so many differences between users, systems etc.) it is a bit slower, and thus has a bit bigger impact on performance.

(2) There are several out there that have been mentioned in the Lounge. Similar to AVG: Avast. F-PROT is well known, good and quite small. Since you just purchased some licenses you seem to have some time to evaluate.

Thanks

I used AVG 8.x Pro for a year on a free license they were giving out (has since run out and I dropped back to AVG 8.x FREE). I did not notice any performance degradation withe Pro version and none with the Free version either. The free version looks very similar to the Pro version and I have all functions on the main screen enabled.

In the Tools-->Advanced Settings-->Resident Shield, I have "Scan for Tacking Cookies", "Scan files on close" unchecked., "Auto-heal" turned off. Under Resident Shield-->Advanced Settings, I do not have "Scan all files" checked.

In the E-mail Scanner, I certify both incoming/outgoing email only when they have attachments.

I am using FF 3.0.4. I seem to recall reading that people with FF 2.x DID have problems with AVG 8.x,so you might want to try upgrading.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

I just went though a little testing, and have now decided to drop AVG 8 entirely. AVG 8 includes anti-spyware protection as well as anti-virus protection, but I like it less than the old AVG 7.5.

First I uninstalled SpySweeper entirely, to see how my system runs with only AVG 8. While running Thunderbird email, AVG 8 produced a noticeable pause each time I clicked on a new email message. The system felt sluggish in general.

Next, I upgraded my SpySweeper subscription to include anti-virus protection. I uninstalled AVG 8 and installed the new SpySweeper.

Now it feels like the system is running the same way it did before I applied the "forced upgrade" to AVG 8. I no longer have any hesitations in Thunderbird when I click on different email messages.
    Rick Groszkiewicz