Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Fonts in Outline View (Word 2003)

I'm (trying) to set up an outline for a paper, using APA formatting.

I'm using Outline View, and numbering in the (I,A,1) style.

Word seems to have it's own ideas about the font type, style and size I should use, and keeps switching me to Arial, with decreasing sizes for indents, and putting said indent in italics.

Is there a way to have it just leave the fonts alone the way I set them? Where would this be adjusted?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

Re: Fonts in Outline View (Word 2003)

It sounds like you may be applying manual formatting to your headings. Word is styles based; promoted or demoted text will automatically take on the style in effect for the new outline level. This is usually a good thing. So if that is the situation, go the print layout view, call up the styles pane, and modify each heading style to your liking. That should take care of the changing font sizes and embellishments. I don't believe that the indents in the outline view are related to those in print layout view. You can check that by switching from one to the other.

If you *are* applying styles (& not manual formatting), Word may still be having trouble if there's any manual formatting on the text. In this case clear out the manual formatting by selecting the heading text and pressing CTRL+spacebar. If necessary reapply the style.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

Thanks

Pam:

I didn't start out to apply formatting manually. "All I wanted to do" is get an outline that would meet APA standards. And since I'm pretty new to that whole thing, anything they *don't* stipulate, such as font switching, I tried to stay away from.

The outline format I was (trying) to use is (the bottom right choice) in the Outline panel (I,A,1...).

Word likes evidently the idea of italics and font size switching. Could well be that I'll need that later, but not now I don't believe. AAMOF, APA has it's own ideas about italics etc.

I hear tell that Word 2007 actually has an APA format choice... Not so in 2003.

But your help was great./ I can, I think, make the modifications one time and then they'll be "default", yes?

BTW, how can I back up the original, or, for that matter, the modified version when I done?

Thanks for all your help, Pam.

Chuck Billow
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Thanks

Pam:

It'll certainly take me a while to work through all THAT info.

Great link!

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks

Pam:

How/what do I back up before I start screwing around here?

I just took a look, and it seems like prime territory for me to cause myself heart palpitations!

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

(Edited by HansV to make URL clickable - see <!help=19>Help 19<!/help>)

You are very welcome. But I'm thinking that a little more Word information will help you along. Please read the information on this site: http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numbering/...eNumbering.html.

PamC
    Pam Caswell

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

> How/what do I back up before I start screwing around here?

Simply create a copy of the document in Windows Explorer before editing it.

Thanks

Hans:

But how does just backing up the document I have open back up the templat(s) to which I make changes? 'Cause it's the templates I'm altering, isn't it?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The numbering styles are stored in the document. But of course, you can also create a backup of the template (.dot file) that the document is based on. Tools | Templates and Add-Ins shows the name of the template.

Thanks

Hans:

OK, I'll give that a shot...

Thanks,
    Chuck

Thanks

Hans:

Now I'm not sure I understand again:

I just went to look, (Tools | Templates and Add-Ins ), and I didn't see, not only anything with "outline" in the name, but not the "normal" either. "Normal" was on the "command line" but not in the list -- it is a global template, isn't it? Or is it?

But, for instance, since this is what started this whole thing for me, if I alter the outline format, is it a template? Is it just part of normal.dot (even if I were using another twmplate)?

'Cause it's the outline format I wanted to start with, so it's THAT that I was looking to back up...so that the next time it would be the default outline format.

Regards,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Outline numbering is stored in the document you're working with.

Word also stores the numbering setup that you use in the Windows registry, so that it will be available in other documents. If you create a customized outline numbering setup, you'll be able to use it in other documents too.

The numbering setup is not stored in Normal.dot unless you explicitly edit Normal.dot.

Thanks

So Hans,

If
    >>
    Outline numbering is stored in the document you're working with.
    <<

How do I duplicate that numbering for a totally different document? Yes, it's also stored in the registry, but then, what do I back up in case of "problems"?

Is it possible to pull the formats and settings off the document that I saved? Or is there a registry entry I could export? 'Cause if I send time setting up special formatting, I would sure want to be able to back it up.

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you backup the document, you also backup the outline numbering setup in that document. If you lose the setup, reopening the backup copy will retrieve the numbering setup and it will from then on be available again.

WS Lounge VIP
    Thanks

In addition to what Hans says, I suggest that you backup the file after every major change. Just so you have a retreat point. Best practice is to save under a new name (maybe a simple increment), then clean them out at the end of the day. I'm usually too rushed and just hit save, though I know I'm taking a chance.

We'd like to know how you make out. By the way, Word 2007 has, from what I hear (since I don't use that feature) a built-in citation style for APA, not a document template. Still that's a boon for you scholarly types.

Good luck,
    PamC
    Pam Caswell

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast