Thread: Quad Core CPU's

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Quad Core CPU's

Simple enough question ... is there any point in buying a quad-core CPU and what, if anything, will work with it (OS & apps)?

Kyu

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Quad Core CPU's

Check out this Google search for quad core apps.

I think the question becomes do you have any Quad 4 qualified applications and/or are they worth the cost ?
    Scott

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Fair enough but traditionally I believe the gaming community pushes hardware to its limits, hardware has developed to meet that push and then is taken up by the rest of the IT world (I'm sure there are some who use it for different things).

Kyu

Thanks

<hr>Is there any point in buying a quad-core CPU<hr>
    If it comes as part of the machine you want, then don't chuck it out!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

In general I agree with you, in the case of current CPU hardware developement, I think the hardware managed to exceed the software world slightly and software has been catching up the past 12-15 months. With multi core CPU's becoming more common, software is going to take advantage. The problem I see is the backward compatibility - thus the relatively small number of 64 bit software applications.

I have had many people come to me because they wanted the latest and greatest, only to find out they plan for "...expansion lather down the road ...". I am all for upgradability and expansion, but experience has told me to include obsolescence in the time frame for upgrades and expansions.

Of course. as BATcher states in his <post:=722,623>post 722,623</post:> ...
    <hr>f it comes as part of the machine you want, then don't chuck it out!<hr>

My main point would be, look at the applications you plan to use now and in the immediate future, plan fro your machine accordingly. For my main home machine, I like OEM equipment for maximum flexibility in upgrades, expansions, and tweaking.

Please advise on outcome - always interested in hearing other opinions and decisions.
    Scott