Thanks

Access 2007 & Sharepoint (2007)

Has anyone tried out Access 2007 using Sharepoint?
    [b]Catharine Richardson (WebGenii)
    WebGenii Home Page
    Moderator: Spreadsheets, Other MS Apps, Presentation Apps, Visual Basic for Apps, Windows Mobile

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='WebGenii' post='716521' date='17-Jun-2008 23:03']Has anyone tried out Access 2007 using Sharepoint?[/quote]
    I asked that very question when my organization first started using SharePoint. The answer I got was that SharePoint is a database, and you can't run a database inside another database. Please don't ask me to explain....

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks
    [quote name='Caesar3' post='787709' date='06-Aug-2009 02:28']I asked that very question when my organization first started using SharePoint. The answer I got was that SharePoint is a database, and you can't run a database inside another database. Please don't ask me to explain.... [/quote]
    Access can work seamlessly with Sharepoint to the detriment of referential integrity apparently though.
    Synchronize with SharePoint under the hood

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks
    I had some brief experience earlier this year when a new client purchased an existing database without telling me that they intended to use it over Sharepoint rather than a traditional network setup. I spent some time with their very knowledgeable IT guy and we discovered it is dead easy to import Access tables into sharepoint, but grovelli is correct, referential integrity is not enforced automatically. For a brand new app that is relatively simple, it wouldn't be a big deal.

With my database using over 100 queries and unbound forms, the performance hit was huge. Updating a record took in the neighbourhood of 10 seconds. Sharepoint seems to be more set up to be working with SQL server where all the queries are in the backend and the heavy lifting can happen in the backend. Since I have no useful experience with SQL server, I suggested they hire someone who does as it would be a more efficient use of their money.

All that aside, I was quite impressed with what Sharepoint could do but taking a large legacy app and converting didn't seem a like a very clever idea.