2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Page Numbering in Sections (2007)

I have a long document. Part of the document needs a different page number style. I already know about adding section breaks before and after the section I want to change and changing the format in that section. What I'd like, however, is for section three page number to "pick up" where section one left off. I.e., If section one was page 1 to 7, section 2 is formatted differently like i, ii, iii. Then I'd like section 3 to pick up at page 8. Is there a way to accomplish this?
    Charlotte Quiroz

Thanks

Re: Page Numbering in Sections (2007)

Of course you can set the starting page number for a section manually, but if you want it to be automatic, you might need to perform a little "field math." I'm just not good enough at that to help you develop the formula for this.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

See the attached document. It uses a variation of the method described in How to create two page-numbering schemes in one document in Word 2003 and in Word 2002. It should work in Word 2007 too. Press Alt+F9 to show (or hide) the field codes.

The header and footer of the second and third sections have been unlinked from that of the previous section by turning off "Same as Previous", and page numbering has been set to restart at 1 for these sections instead of continuing from the previous section.

The header of the first section contains a field with code { SET var1 { SECTIONPAGES } } (remember, don't type the { } yourself, use Ctrl+F9 to insert field braces). This field sets an invisible bookmark var1 to the number of pages in this section.

The footers of the first and second sections contain a simple { PAGE } field. The number formatting for the second section has been set to i, ii, ...
    The footer of the third section contains a formula field { ={ var1 }+{ PAGE } }. This adds the number of pages of the first section to the page number of the third section.

To update the page numbers, print preview or print the document.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Hi Charlotte,

Hans has shown you how you can get the 3rd(?) Section's page numbering to pick up from the next number after the 1st(?) Section's page numbering finishes. That will work well unless you're using:
    . a Table of Contents
    . page-number cross-referencing
    . an index
    None of those facilities will recognise the calculated page number. The only way to get them all to do the right thing is to manually reset the 3rd(?) Section's page numbering to start from where the 1st(?) Section's page numbering finishes, plus 1.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks, Paul. That's good information to know. And yes, a Cross-reference is involved.
    Charlotte Quiroz