New Lounger
    Thanks

AVG 8-error/Can't start PC

S/w: Spybot Search & Destroy, Ad-Aware, Zone-Alarm (can't give more details because I can't boot that PC)
    Scan Settings: Default

After AVG 8 became hung up on Zone Alarm file & ran for 3 hours, I could not stop it or PC until I turned off the Power Strip.

When tried to re-start PC, Win XP starts to load but "AVGRSX.EXE - application error Instruction at 0X78147347 referenced memory at 0X04528e40. Memory couldn't be written. Click OK to terminate program. Click Cancel to debug." I tried both but just receive a black screen & waited until I turned off Power Strip.

Help - how can I re-start this PC & fix problem? Thanks

Thanks

Re: AVG 8-error/Can't start PC

Can you boot into Windows' Safe Mode and make an exception in AVG so it doesn't scan the ZoneAlarm program folder? Getting to the Windows boot menu typically involves pressing the F8 key early in the startup process, but your hotkey might vary.

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by IMNetUser on 18-Jun-08 04:00. Corrected spelling errors - AGAIN ...)</P>After doing a little research, I found an obscure reference in one of my tips and tricks files for an older version of the software doing something similar. The proposed solutions was to either:
    a) Boot in safe mode and run scandisk to verify no errors on the hard drive.
    Using XP Installation disks to boot to Recovery Console (At Welcome screen, press "R"). At the command prompt, type scandisk /r

I do not know if this is your problem, but it could be a cross linked sector or a bad sector.
    Scott

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

As a side note: I tried searching the AVG Support FAQ but did not find anything on your specific problem.

You might also want to try going to Contact Technical Support to ask Grisoft.Com for help on your problem.
    Scott