2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Error When Opening a PDF through OLE (Access 2000)

There is an OLE button on our database that links to the PDF file on our server associated with that record. One of the people here sometimes has a problem opening the PDF document via that OLE button. He often gets the following error message: A problem occured when the database tried to access the Acrobat Document Object (I attached a screenshot of the error message).

1) He gets the error message only sometimes and is using Acrobat Reader 8
    2) I never get that message, but I am using Acrobat Professional 7

He can open the file directly from Windows, but often gets the error when he clicks the OLE button in the Access DB.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

Also, if there is no solution, I guess I would have to change the OLE button into a straight hyperlink, which would solve the problem. Is there a quick way to do that from an OLE button? Is the actual link information stored somewhere in the DB?

Thanks,

JoeK
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error When Opening a PDF through OLE (Access 2000)

I have no idea what would cause this. Microsoft describes a way to retrieve the path of a linked OLE field - see ACC2000: How to Retrieve the Path for Linked OLE Objects, but it warns that the GetLinkedPath function may return garbage. I performed a small test and the function did indeed fail to return the correct path.

In general, you should avoid using OLE fields. It's better to store the path and filename of external files in a text field (or hyperlink field).

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Error When Opening a PDF through OLE (Access 2

Thanks for the reply.