halek

Opening File Explorer

One of the items that has been frustrating me with 2000 is the inability to control where File Explorer opens. It's always in My Documents.
    In 98 I was able to control this by the the "Open In" line in the Shortcut properties. I have tried and tried to no avail.
    Can anybody help me?

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Opening File Explorer

Go to the shortcut icon and open the properties. On the command line after explorer.exe, add the following switches: /e,/n,C: This will open the C:drive folder, or modify this for your favorite folder.

Thanks

A full explanation of the command line switches can be found here:
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q130/5/10.ASP>Q130510</A> Command-Line Switches for Windows Explorer

halek

Thanks for your advice.

Darn stuff is easy if you just know the secrets.
    I had done a search, but unfortunately I used my antiquated title "File Explorer" rather tham Windows Explorer.

Bronze Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Leif

Nice one, but you don't need the switches. On my Explorer shortcut (Win 2000P) I just have C:/ so the path reads :
    H:WINNTexplorer.exe C:
    Seems to work ok. Or were you using them to force a particular style of pane?

Funnily enough, the article on command line switches does not mention /k. This can be used in Win2k to run a batch file from the cmd.exe command line. I find it useful for auto cleaning my temp file.

Cheers