Thread: Cat5 vs. Cat5e

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Cat5 vs. Cat5e

Howdy,
    The tabs to my cat5 cable are broken and don't always stay in place from router to computer. When I swapped out for a cat5e cable, I couldn't connect. I thought cat5e was backwardly compatible; I've tried 2 separate 5e cables with the same results. Do all of my cables need to be changed to cat5e? This would require 4 more cables along the home network. Help!

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Cat5 vs. Cat5e

You can get two types of patch cables (standards 568A or 568B) one is straight through and the other is crossed, referring to the connections end to end. You may have the wrong type.

Paul

2 Star Lounger
    Thanks

All cables are the same -- Cat5e 568b2. I swapped out one cable from hub to computer, but only when I try to swap cable from router to hub do I have a problem. All cables function properly when connected to other devices.???

4 Star Lounger
    Thanks

That does sound a bit perplexing. I assume you are running at normal data rates if your previous condition was all cat5 cables. That being the case, you would expect the cat5e cable to work as a replacement. I have seen cases where some plugs do not connect reliably with the sockets from other manufacturers, despite a standard being in place. Or maybe the socket that housed the tabless plug is now worn out of spec.

If more attempts to fix the problem fail, perhaps you should just replace the cable with broken tabs with another cat5 cable instead of replacing the others with cat5e. keep us posted.

Paul

Thanks

According to the Cat 5 Cable Company, Cat5e <big><big>is</big></big> "completely backwards compatible" with Cat5.

Check out this SITE for this and other good info on Cat5 and Cat5e cable and patch cables.

Have you carefully checked the condition of the cable SOCKETS that the cables plug into?
    BOB
    http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/flags/USA.gif http://lounge.windowssecrets.com/S/f...sachusetts.gif

Long ago, there was a time when men cursed and beat on the ground with sticks. It was called witchcraft.
    Today it is called golf!