Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    New Lounger
    Thanks

All office 2007 programs have changed their look

Edited by HansV to replace Word attachment with the screenshot that it contained

Unaware of any changes in the look and feel I could have applied, Word 2007 now uses a more classic look. For instance the Office button, normally having four colors, is now just having a black borderline. But actually the complete menu (ribbon) looks differently. These changes are restricted to the Office programs. The only other thing I observe, is that the icons on the desktop of my Win XP Pro PC have a rectangular shade around their name. This seems to be a well known annoyance, but the usual solution (having to do with "drop shadow", or disabling "Web content" for the desktop) have no effect. Maybe the problem in Office is somehow related to a feature I recently discovered by accident, namely that using Ctrl+Alt+Shift-down puts the content on the screen upside down. I don't know if there actually is any relation, but it was shortly after this discovery the Office problems started. Anyone any idea?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: All office 2007 programs have changed their look

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

It looks like your display has been set to display fewer colors.
    Open the Display Properties control panel, activate the Settings tab and select "Highest (32 bit)" in the Color quality dropdown, then click OK or Apply.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Re: All office 2007 programs have changed their lo

I'm afraid the value of this property is already 32 bits, so that won't help. Besides, when I start Outlook, it shows the usual logo with all the colors (including that of the Office button).

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Have you tried selecting a different color scheme for Windows in the Appearance tab of the Display Properties control panel?
    Have you tried selecting a different color scheme for the affected Office applications? (Office button, Word / Excel Options, Popular, Color Scheme)

New Lounger
    Thanks

I've tried all of those aand more, both on the Display level (affecting all applications) and on the individual Office apps. I only learned that changing the color scheme in Office had no ivisual mpact, even though they were affected by the Display settings.
    So maybe it is a good idea to try a reinstall of Office?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You might try that, but I have no idea whether it would solve the problem. Before reinstalling, try Office Diagnostics:
    - Start Word.
    - Click the Office button.
    - Select Word Options.
    - Select Resources.
    - Click Diagnose, Continue, Start Diagnostics.

Thanks

>> ...using Ctrl+Alt+Shift-down puts the content on the screen upside down...

Ctrl+Alt+Up (or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Up) and Ctrl+Alt+Down (or Ctrl+Alt+Shift+Down) are, I believe, standard shortcuts for flipping your screen if your hardware supports it.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks for this tip, but the diagnosis is that everything is OK. Could it be that there are some advanced features of Intel Media Accelerator Driver which are used by Office apps in particular?

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If so, I would expect it to affect all Office applications the same way, but you wrote that Outlook displays correctly. This is a really weird problem.

It might be worth a try to experiment with the video settings. Just make sure to note the original settings so that you can restore them.

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, but that was not the real problem and in fact may have nothing to do with the problem at hand (see the graphic in my first post for my problem).
    Anyaway, thanks for your answer.

Rik

New Lounger
    Thanks

Well, actually Outlook also looks differently. Only at start up, when the Outlook Logo is displayed, it shows the Office button in full color. I'm sorry if I've made myself not clear. However, I'm off for a couple of days, so I'll have to postpone any experiments till I'm back.
    Thanks for the responses so far!

Regards,

Rik

Thanks

Is your display other wise Ok ?
    Thanks John
    Teamwork is essential; it gives the enemy other people to shoot at. (Murphy's War Laws #39)

New Lounger
    Thanks

Yes, the display seems to work correctly. And I've tried a number of settings for my Intel GMA driver, but I really have no clue what to do. It seems so weird that just the Office apps have changed appearance. For instance the folders in Outlook (e.g. Inbox) have the classic look, while the folders in Explorer have the modern look.

Rik

Thanks

Re: All office 2007 programs have changed their look

I take it you don't have any desktop "skinning" programs (such as WindowBlinds) installed? Have you installed any new (particularly freeware) software recently?
    Regards,
    Rory

Microsoft MVP - Excel

New Lounger
    Thanks

I installed the antivirus software AVG8 a couple of weeks ago, but the problem with Office started only last week.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast