When I start a Counter Log, perfmon errors out and I get Application Error Event 1004 from "Application Error" with category (104). The Description is "Faulting application smlogsvc.exe, version 5.1.2600.2180, faulting module pdh.dll, version 5.1.2600.2180, fault address 0x00023618". I also get a System Error event 7031 stating that the Performance Logs and Alert Service has terminated unexpectedly. The service restarts in a couple of seconds and terminates immediately. If I stop the counter log, the errors cease.

I have reduced the counter set to 1 counter (% processor time). I have tried binary and csv output. Same behavior.

I can run these same counters on the system monitor option. I can create and change the counter log with no problem. I get the error as soon as I start the counter and the error repeats as the service restarts. Each restart creates a new instance of the log file with the column header line and one counter line (seems to run about 25 files per minute).

I can't find any ideas via microsoft.com or a general Google. The computer does have Media Player 11 on it -- no known connection, I'm just suspicious of it.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe M