Star Lounger
    Thanks

WORD Fiels, Styles & Templates (Word 2003)

I have users that need to create reports in a particular format, the problem is that most users only have very basic Word skills. I have been asked to create a template for them which will have all the formatting for all headings, paragraphs and table of contents set. I am seeking some advice from more advanced users. I donít have problems with creating styles and templates.
    I have created a fillin field for the Main heading, Sub heading and other required information on the front page. I then need to have headings (the number of headings may vary) and under the heading will be the content for the heading. These heading will have styles applied. What I was going to do is have a line with Heading 1 here and under than have Content 1 here and repeat this procedure for maybe 5 times (for 5 headings and content) and then have a message for them to delete the headings not required. (Not sure that this is the best way to do it). My next problem is the table of contents, which I have sent up on the second page. Is there any way that I can have this update automatically without using F9 as I am sure that the users would be worried about having to do this. I was thinking of a macro (a button that they would press and it would update the table of contents without them having to do anything else). Is the fillin field the one I should be using?
    I would appreciate any help I could get as I have been on this for a while and need to complete it ASAP. Thanks heaps.

Super Moderator
    Canberra, Australian Capital Territory, Australia
    Thanks

Re: WORD Fiels, Styles & Templates (Word 2003)

Hi lisbry,

Simply doing a print preview should be enough to update the TOC. The same action will update a range of other fields (eg cross-references) as well. You could use a MACROBUTTON field to trigger a macro for anything more sophisticated.

Whatever you do, though, there'll be drawbacks. For example, the MACROBUTTON field suggested above might get deleted or, if you set its font to 'hidden' so that it won't print, it won't be visible to a user who's Word settings don't display hidden text. Given what you've described, I think the best solution is for someone to teach your clients some basic Word skills that extend to the correct use of Styles. That'd be far better than relying on kludgy workarounds.
    Cheers,

Paul Edstein
    [MS MVP - Word]

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I agree with Paul that teaching the users to do a print preview is the best way to have them update the TOC and other fields.

I'd set up the styles as needed. For example, if each "chapter" needs to start on a new page, tick the "Page Break Before" check box for the Heading 1 style in its Paragraph settings.
    You could create a custom toolbar that is stored in the document template with buttons for the styles that you use most often. Styles is one of the categories in the Commands tab of Tools | Customize - you don't need to write macros for that. Set the style for these buttons to Text Only or to Image and Text, and give them clear, instructive captions, so that the users know what the buttons do withiout having to guess.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks both for your help, its been great advise. I originally did use the MACRO BUTTON but still had encountered other problems, may still use this. I did advise my supervisor that I could create a template with prompts and that I would need to train the users to use the template.
    I have now created another version of the template using your idea of creating a custom toolbar and storing the styles that the users would need to create the report. I still have a problem with the TOC, not sure if I am doing, or not doing something but my TOC does not update when I go to print preview, any ideas as to why this is happening.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You're correct, Print Preview is indeed not sufficient to update the entire TOC, it only updates the page numbers. When the document is printed, Word should prompt the user to update only page numbers or the entire TOC.

You could create a macro in a module in the template:

Sub UpdateTOC()
    ActiveDocument.TablesOfContents(1).Update
    End Sub

and make this available on the custom toolbar.