Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Lounger
    Thanks

Mail merge (word 2003)

Hi i wonder if anyone can advise. I've mail merged a word doc with an excel sheet filling in names, addresses etc and then saved the doc for each person within their own folder. However when i reopen the docs, it looks for the orginal sql source. I can press No and then save the doc and it doesn't look for the sql anymore. However when there are a lot of saved merges this is not practical. Is there anyway to save the original merge so that the SQL request won't come up on opening each doc?
    thanks in advance ;o)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Mail merge (word 2003)

Welcome to Woody's Lounge!

From your description, I get the impression that you haven't actually executed the mail merge in Step 6 of the Mail Merge Wizard (aka Mail Merge task pane), but that you moved from record to record in Step 5 and saved the document each time to a different location. If you have done that, each document has been saved with the mail merge setup (connection to the Excel workbook etc.)
    You should merge to a new document in Step 6 of the Mail Merge Wizard. This will create one large document with a section for each record from the data source. You can use a macro to split this large document into separate documents - see <post:=663,727>post 663,727</post:>.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi Hans
    I used step 6 and then used macro from linked post but i'm obviously doing something wrong as its only showing first merged letter and then not the subsequent ones... can you advise please? TIA

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks very much indeed Hans - you're quite right in this - it's the first time i've used merge!! thanks again for your help.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

After you performed step 6, did you have a document with many sections, one for each row of the Excel data source?

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans; I think I figured out what I did wrong. I copied in the macro after I ran the merge and got one continuous doc of the merges... However when I tried to run the macro on the saved merges I got the following errmsg: The macros in this project are disabled" Is there a quick and easy way I can enable macros; I've not dealt with them before. TIA

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Select Tools | Macro | Security...
    Make sure that the security level is not set to High or Very High. Medium is the best setting.
    Then save, close and reopen the document with the macro. You will be asked whether you want to enable macros; click Enable macros.
    You should then be able to run the macro.

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Again Hans; at least now the macro will run but i've only got myletter1, and no others e.g. no myletter2, myletter3, etc. What am I doing wrong? Maybe I need merge for Dummies!!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should run the macro while the merged document (the one with one section for each letter) is the active document.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi again Hans; just to reiterate; 1: run the merge 2: save the results; 3: run the macro.... Is that correct? I still only end up with 1 letter. My new boss won't be impressed by the fact that I've only a merge of 4 to do and it's taken me so long to do this... However as I'll have very large merges (of several hundred) to do going forward I'd really like to learn how to do this correctly. Are the steps outlined above (1-3) correct? Please remember you're talking a complete novice here ;o(

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Step 2 - save the results isn't really necessary, although it's a good idea to save the result of the mail merge in case things go wrong.

Try the following:
    - Open the document that contains the macro. Make sure that you enable macros.
    - Open the document with the merge results - this should be a document with multiple letters in it. Make sure that this is the active document.
    - Press Alt+F11 to activate the Visual Basic Editor.
    - If you see the macro, click in it.
    - Otherwise, look at the Project Explorer on the left hand side.
    - Under the document that contains the macro, you should see Modules and under that something like Module1 or NewMacros.
    - You may have to expand items by clicking the + to the left of them to see the module.
    - Double click the module. You should now see the macro code. Click in it.
    - Press F5 to run the code.
    The macro should now process the merged document.

Lounger
    Thanks

Hi, I have just tried out this splitter macro because I could have used it yesterday. I had 15 letters merged and was supposed to save each in its own directory. Well, I copied the splitter macro and ran my merge, then the macro went through the motions and for a second showed each letter as a separate document, but when the macro was done, there were no other documents open except the actual form with the merge codes in it.

Johanna

Lounger
    Thanks

Thanks Hans; I've got it now; I think I may have been trying too much and ended up with versions all over the place! We learn by our mistakes (hopefully ;o) Now all I have to do is rename the saved letters. Each merged doc is saved with the doc name and the person's name so OK for 4, gonna be fun (NOT) for hundreds. Anyway thanks again for all your help. You've been great. ;o)

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The macro closes each document after it is created, so when it's finished, none of the new documents will be open in Word. They have been saved to disk, however.

I use this macro to split a merged file consisting of over 450 reports into individual documents. I wouldn't want 450 documents to be open at the end - Word would no doubt crash!

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The macro "as is" simply assigns a sequence number to each document. It would be possible to modify the macro to assign more meaningful names. If the name to be used can be retrieved in an easy way from the document itself, it wouldn't be difficult, otherwise it requires more advanced programming techniques.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast