Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Outline Styles and Fonts (Word 2003)

I went to the Outline tab under Bullets and Numbering. Then I picked the Outline format I wanted, and went through and set all the font settings to Times Roman Regular 12.

In my document, I set the same Times Roman Regular 12.

But when I started using the outline, the numbering was Times Roman alright, but the minute I hit return to enter the next line item the numbers/letters were TR OK, but then the text was Arial 16 pt italic bold.

It's obvious that Word is referring to style settings for the fonts used *only* for the text on the lines, Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. because the numbering is controlled by Format/Numbering settings.

Is there way to have all the settings for the font styles be the same, even maybe adjusted or changed with one settings group?

Or do I have to go through the format and the styles each time a change is made?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    -------------------------------------------------
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

~ A(lan) A(lexander) Milne (1882-1956)- "House at Pooh Corner"

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Outline Styles and Fonts (Word 2003)

I don't quite understand what you're doing (so what's new?). Could you post a small document illustrating your problems?

Thanks

Hans:

Gladly.

The attached a ZIP file with three files: an APA format template (referred to me from this board, of course, for a manuscript, a sample of the type of intended output, both the outline and the manuscript. .

Now, as I understand it, all this template really is doing is showing me the what and where, but NOT the how necessarily.
    Hans:

These are the formats I'm trying to set up... They go together as a whole document.

All that is fine, but:

The standard outline format from the one mentioned is done in Arial bold, 16 point to start, on some, evenh though I went through the whole format and changed the fonts to TR 12.

I found the the Style in the Normal template generates the Arial fonts, and is separate from the Format selections.

Since I need this fairly often, I would like it to be something that I can set up one time, and then just recall.

I don't always use TR for everything. And, whatever the font, I'd like my heading fonts to match the body fonts.

How do I accomplish this?

Chuck
    Attached Files Attached Files
    "Good judgment comes from experience, and experience - well, that comes from poor judgment."

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I don't see any Arial 16 in any of the documents, so I have no idea what your problem is.

Thanks

Hans:

OK, THIS is what I get using the Outline format, with those fonts set to TR 12.

As shown, I (think I) know now that not only the formats, but the styles have to change as well.

But I don't want the same fonts all the time, so what do I do so that when I pick a font, it applies to *everything* in the document, unless I explicitly mark it otherwise?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow
    Attached Files Attached Files

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you want the Heading styles to use Times New Roman 12, you should modify these styles from the Formatting and Styles task pane. The numbering will automatically use the same font. As I have mentioned before, you should NOT set the font in the Bullets and Numbering dialog.
    Why don't you use the template that I pointed you to? It already has the Heading styles set to Times New Roman 12, so you don't have to do it yourself.

Thanks

Hans:

I got the part about the Formatting and Styles pane.

How come you don't change the fonts in the Numbering... Menu selection? What are they there for otherwise?

If I change the fonts using the Formatting pane, does that carry forward for all documents in the future?

I'll take another look at the template...I'm just not familiar enough with templates, obviously. I wasn't realizing that the fonts were there as well... I did download it, and I do have it installed...I just though I guess that it was a "type this here...Now type this here" sort of form... apologies. I'll have to make sure it's the right template, 'cause the one I'm looking at is for the manuscript, and doesn't speak of the outline at all...

I shouldn't have to set anything? So I just use the Outline view

I'll give it another shot.

Thanks,
    Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

You should *only* set the font in the Bullets and Numbering dialog if you deliberately want to use a different font for the numbering than for the rest of the text. This should rarely be necessary - in most circumstances you want the numbering to use the same font as the text.

If you want to use a collection of settings for multiple documents, you can create a document with the styles, page setup, numbering setup etc. that you want, then delete all text from the document except text you want to use in all similar documents, and save the document as a template (.dot). From then on, you can create new documents based on the template. Each document based on the template will inherit the styles, page setup, numbering setup etc. of the template, as well as all text that you left in the template. (You're free to modify each of these aspects in the document, by the way,)

Thanks

Hans:

Do they need to be/should be globally available, or do you just check the box or load the template on an ad hoc basis?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Thanks

Hans:

Now I AM feeling stupid...

I got the template (apa-template-5.0611.doc) that I downloaded and installed.

So do I open the template? Isn't that what I'd do to edit the template? So how then do I implement it?

And what's the difference if it's "global" or not?

Chuck

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

I assume that you don't want ALL your documents to use the APA formatting.

Open the APA document that you downloaded.
    Delete all text from the document.
    Select File | Save As...
    Select Document Template (*.dot) in the 'Save as type' dropdown near the bottom of the Save As dialog.
    Change the proposed name to (for example) APA.dot
    Click Save.
    Close the window.

You have now created a template that can be used as the basis for new documents that should follow the APA style conventions.

If you want to create such a document:
    Select File | New...
    This opens the New Document task pane.
    If you see APA.dot in the 'Recently used templates' section, click on it.
    Otherwise, click 'On my computer' in the Templates section.
    A dialog will be displayed, and APA.dot should be listed there. Select it, then click OK.
    You now have a blank NEW document that contains all the style conventions of the APA template.

Thanks

Thanks Hans... You're the best.

Regards,
    Chuck

Thanks

Hans:

A couple of the "templates", when you open them, are "wizards". And they don't show up by tile on a search.

Are these "just" templates with built in macros, and why don't they show up by title search?

Regards,
    Chuck Billow

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

The wizards are templates whose extension has been changed to .wiz. But the way they are presented in the Templates dialog is the result of some special Microsoft magic - the names do not correspond to the real file names.

Thanks

See? THey're just reminding me who's the REAL boss here!

Thanks,
    Chuck

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast