Lounger
    Thanks

Itemised phone bill isPDF how to reconsile with ol

Hi all, been casting around the internet trying to find a solution to my problem. Our phone bills arrive electronically these days usually as a PDF. I wish to reconcile the phone number called with outlook's contact list so I can differentiate between work and personal. I realise I can copy and paste from PDF into a spreadsheet. however from here i get hazy as to how to reconcile. As I want to do this on an ongoing monthly basis, I am looking for a labour saving and elegant solution.

Cheers

Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Itemised phone bill isPDF how to reconsile with ol

Excel can't read Outlook contacts directly, so you'd have to export your Contacts folder(s) from Outlook to an Excel workbook. You can then use VLOOKUP formulas or a combination of MATCH and INDEX to link the data from the phone bill (provided it can be pasted into Excel in a usable format) with the contact data.

If you have Microsoft Access, you can create a database with a table that is linked to your Outlook contacts, so you wouldn't have to export the contacts each month. It might be more difficult to get the phone bill into the database, though, so you might then create a new database query in Excel to get the contact data into your workbook.

Super Moderator
    Thanks

Re: Itemised phone bill isPDF how to reconsile with ol

As for converting the PDF file, most of the current OCR programs can read the PDF file into a Excel file.

Now running HP Pavilion a6528p, with Win7 64 Bit OS.

Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Itemised phone bill isPDF how to reconsile wit

thank you Hans and Dave for your replies. Sorry i thought that when i entered details at the beginning of the original enquiry it asked me which programs i was using! However i have an HTC Windows Mobile 6.1 Smart phone, Vista HP, MS Office 2007 Pro and for scanning i either use Acrobat 8 Professional or Omnipage 16. so getting the details from paper to electronic is not an issue and i am aware of codes that can convert the flat data from outlook into an access or excel spreadsheet, well i used a few several years ago with office 2003, an am assuming the same can be done with 2007. As an Ambulance Officer, excel or VB script are not my first use applications, however over the years i figured my way through most things, so i will definitely give it i try.

If i may ask you to preserve with me a while longer, would i have to export outlook contacts into an excel spreadsheet, then somehow import the details from the PDF's into a different excel sheet or the same one i created with the contacts on it? Or should i start out designing an Access database, use say the contact management template, then add in a bit whereby i could import a CSV or similar with the PDF details copied into it? the output being my required data.

Given the various Telecoms around the world are notorious for overcharging, it has me intrigued that there isn't an off the shelf tool to reconcile phone bills. How have others done this in the past?

cheers
    Robert

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

If you use Excel: you don't have to store the Outlook contact data and the phone bill data in the same workbook. Excel formulas can refer to cells in another workbook.

If you create an Access database, you'd have to import or link to an Excel sheet or .csv file with the phone bill data.

Lounger
    Thanks

Ok Excel it is!
    While I have used many of the common formulas in Excel, I have usually relied on the trial and error method. not wishing to be spoon fed here, so is there a website you would recommend that explains how to set out and use formulas such as "Vlookup".

Uranium Lounger
    Thanks

-John ... I float in liquid gardens
    UTC -7ąDS