Star Lounger
    Thanks

System Restore (XP SP 2)

Most complaints about System Restore are because it doesn't create a restore point, but my problem is different. I can create a restore point, and get the message that it was created, but I cannot restore back to that point. I have lots of free space on my disk, and I checked the Event Viewer, and I do not have any error messages related to system restore.
    Can anyone figure out what's going on?
    Thanks
    Michael Trombetta

Thanks

Re: System Restore (XP SP 2)

Do you have any Norton products installed by any chance?
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

Do you get any error message [when you try to use a RP] (not all manifest themselves in the Event Viewer)?

Do you have any Symantec software installed, such as Norton AV etc.?

Star Lounger
    Thanks

No, I do not get any error message when I create a restore point; it is only when I try to go back to a restore point that I get the error message. I do have Norton Internet Security installed. Does that cause a problem?
    Thanks,
    Michael Trombetta

Thanks

"I do have Norton Internet Security installed. Does that cause a problem?"

Yes, unfortunately it does. BEFORE you try a Restore, open NIS>Options>Norton Internet Security and in the General Settings, UNCHECK "Turn on Protection for Norton Products". If you leave this setting checked when performing a System Restore, Norton will block the System Restore. It does NOT want any changes made to any of its files, and System Restore is trying to do just that.
    John
    A Child's Mind, Once Stretched by Imagination...
    Never Regains Its Original Dimensions

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

I understand (I meant when you try to go back to a RP, and if so what error message, sorry if not clear).

John has mentioned the cause and solution. <!post=This post,631597>This post<!/post> (and the second half of the thread) is about your problem. There is a link in it to Symantec with information for different Norton products.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

Thank you. I would never have suspected Norton (maybe that shows how naive I am). I was installing a freeware uninstaller (the Revo Uninstaller) and just in case I was disappointed I wanted to be able to go back one day. When I couldn't I got worried.
    So thanks again,
    Michael Trombetta

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

If you try the steps <!profile=Rebel>Rebel<!/profile> suggested (or similar per the Symantec post, depending on version) it should work in the future.

Just a note (don't know if you know, sorry if so): the System Restore is not an uninstall substitute. One should always uninstall programs that has been installed after a Restore Point (RP) before going back to that RP. I know it's a pain, but then SR isn't the first thing one tries. But if the system is affected even after an uninstall, SR may help.

So either the native Windows uninstall which uses the install/uninstall routine that installed the software in the first place, or some third-party Uninstaller (I have no experience with them under Windows NT/XP).

There has been quite a lot mentioned about SR in the Lounge.

Star Lounger
    Thanks

I disabled Norton, and still couldn't restore back to a test restore point I created yesterday. The only "error" message I get is a window titled Restore Incomplete, with the message Your computer could not be restored to (restore point). No changes have be made to your computer

Does anyone have any other suggestions besides disabling Norton?
    Thanks,
    Michael Trombetta

Silver Lounger
    Thanks

A quick reply; here is a site with a lot of information about System Restore in Windows XP (and Vista): http://bertk.mvps.org (MVP Bert Kinney).

If you take a look at Error Messages, you will find, among them: "SYSTEM RESTORE Restoration Incomplete Your Computer cannot be restored"

Also error #8 (his numbering) mention ""Restoration Incomplete...", though it also cover another situation.

With "I disabled Norton ..." I assume you mean you turned off product protection in NIS?

There could be some different causes, corrupt RPs etc. (If corrupt RPs, not much to do but to remove them, they are all part of "chain".) Also a reinstall of System Restore could help. But before that you could do some more troubleshooting.

Here is general advice list for Restore Point Failures: http://bertk.mvps.org/html/srfail.html

IF you try to test in Safe Mode, remember that when you go back to a RP in Safe Mode there will NOT be a RP set [automatically] so that if you change your mind and would like to go, er, forward. (In Normal Mode when one use SR to restore the system to a RP there will be a RP set automatically, much the same as when one install certain software, or every 24 hour etc.