Thanks

Emailing Router logs via Exchange

I am trying to email the logs from the Netgear router (on 192.168.2.1) connected to my terminal server to myself, via the Exchange Server 2003 (on 192.168.0.2) - different subnet, note.

In the router's email fields I have put my normal email address me@mydomain.org.uk and for the server I have tried mail.mydomain.org.uk and also 192.168.0.2. In both instances Sending the email from the router appears to work, and the log is cleared - but the emails appear to disappear, never to emerge! (Incidentally, the router won't allow me to specify the name of the Exchange Server.)

I've hunted through (Exchange) System Manager and can't find anywhere in the multifarious Properties fields which would enable me to specify that emails from the 192.168.2.xxx subnet should be allowed. Am I looking in the right place, or has anyone any ideas? Thanks!

PS I should also mention that sending logs via email from the router (192.168.0.1) on the Exchange server works fine!
    BATcher

Time prevents everything happening all at once...

Thanks

Re: Emailing Router logs via Exchange

Few thoughts (from an non-Exchange user):

Does Exchange have a log that might show the email arriving and what might be happening to it?

Do you need to set up an email account for the router so that Exchange sees it as a valid 'user' and not as an attempt to relay?

Do you need to set a FQDN for the Exchange server?

Do you have anywhere to setup 'Trusted hosts' - i.e. Trusted Domains / Trusted IP addresses / IP Screening?

Thanks

The SMTP Virtual Server settings might have the dialogs for hosts permitted to relay. Several years since I looked for it...

Thanks

Thanks, chaps - I'll have a look at these ideas tomorrow, when I'm back at work...
    BATcher

Thanks

In one of the "you wouldn't believe it if you hadn't seen it for yourself" events, I can say that, suddenly, the email sent by the router today arrived in my InBox!

About the only explanation might be that the several Apply commands were insufficient, and a router restart was needed.

It is this sort of apparently random problem/solution that keeps us techies in a job...
    BATcher