3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

Text Field Highlighting (XP Professional)

We have a letterhead template with text fields in it and while this has never happened to me, our lawclerk typed four letters this week and when she sent them to me for filing on my computer, I noticed that the entire letter, except for the greeting, was highlighted. No matter what I do, I cannot change that and it is close to impossible to even get into the body of the letter to make a change without all of it disappearing (because it was all selected).

I know I've seen this in the past when I still worked for a large insurance company sales department, but I haven't seen it since. Does anyone know what caused this and how we can get rid of it? I have tried and cannot even emulate the problem.

Thanks.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

Re: Text Field Highlighting (XP Professional)

I have never seen something like that. Under normal circumstances, Word places the insertion point at the beginning of a document when it is opened. Do you have code in the document template, in your Normal.dot or in a global template (add-in) that does something with a document when it is opened?

Thanks

Perhaps the body of the letter was typed inside a field code??

You could try saving to other formats to see if you can at least rescue the text for pasting back in.

3 Star Lounger
    Thanks

If I do, Hans, I don't know it, other than the field codes. Here's a doctored up copy of what she gave me.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thanks

<P ID="edit" class=small>(Edited by jscher2000 on 24-Jun-08 18:58. )</P>If you press Alt+F9, you will see that most of the document is replaced with {FORMTEXT} fields. If that is not the intended design, select all and press Ctrl+Shift+F9 to convert all field codes to their contents.

Added: Thinking about it other way around, is this document supposed to be protected for forms? That would help if you want to maintain the form fields but be able to edit.

Plutonium Lounger
    Thanks

As Jefferson notes, the document has been set up as a form. It is intended to be used while protected for forms (display the Forms toolbar and click the last button, the one with the lock icon). You can then edit the text in the form fields, but you can't edit the fixed text such as the company header at the top.

When the document is not protected for forms, Word will treat each form field as a single entity. This mode is intended to change the design of the form fields, not to edir their content.